OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobble Callers

Started by quavers59, March 09, 2016, 01:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

How many members here use a (gobble caller) during their hunting? My fav is the RED Wollfe gobble tube. I also have a number of custom boxes that give a good gobble like Melvin Newman's boxes. I have 2. One is a solid wormy maple box and walnut lid. Then, I have a Steve Turpin-Teak box with a beech lid. And my 4th is an old -D-BOONE- SUPER GOBBLER. I bought it in 1990 in a big bargain box  at the old Playtogs in Middletown, New York. Best, 6.99 I ever spent !!! It is a green plastic box. This box sounds just like a 2 year old tom!!! Any member here have this old plastic box?

Dr Juice

A gobbler call is my secret weapon ... until now :toothy9:  I have called a few back after they walked away from me to meet their demise. I use the QB and Primos shake type of call and I never leave home without it.  :OGturkeyhead:

MtntopBarry

I use a tube call to gobble and it is deadly when used at the right time.

Farmboy27

I used to carry one all the time (primos I think?).  But after awhile I realized that I hardly ever used it so it went into the "maybe sometime cabinet".  Probably would think about using one more if there wasn't so many other hunters in my area.  I'm sure they can work wonders when used at the right time!!

TauntoHawk

Gobble on a mouth call and on a box
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dirt road ninja

I see it mentioned a few times in this thread. When would be the right time?

Rick Howard

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 09, 2016, 05:10:44 PM

Lol if you hunt where I hunt most the time.... At your house.... Cause it's easier to dodge the frying pan.

guesswho

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 09, 2016, 05:10:44 PM
They can be effective at any time.   But for me the later in the season the more effective they seem to be.  Later in the season Gobblers are just as, or more interested in getting back with the gang as they are the hens. At least what's left of the old gang.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BowBendr

I don't use a call to make a gobble, but I sure do use gobbler yelps and cutts from a mouth call. In my experience it is way more effective than gobbling.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

MK M GOBL

I gobble on my mouth call, no need to carry another call. I had the Red Wolfe when I started turkey hunting and was pretty effective. I do use this call very sparingly, pretty much my last ditch effort after I have done everything else I can...

I do roll some very slow 3-note Jake "yaulks" on my slate that the toms will get worked up about.

MK M GOBL

Marc

Territorial dominant tom with hens...  A gobble followed by some aggressive hen clucks/yelps...  I have not had much luck doing this, but it has worked as a last ditch effort when nothing else would work...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

birdman67

I always have it with me. I use the Primos gobbler shaker. I have the best luck when I see a group of gobbler ganging up on another. It has worked for me numerous times.
Loving God's Creation!

fallhnt

I use em' Spring and Fall.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

quavers59

Great replys here! I figure that I will use a gobble call after 10.30am when there are less hunters around.

WV TURKEY THUG

ive called a more then a few in with primos gobbler thing you shake cant remember what it is called. Last year there was this group of 3 long beards that i had tried to call in but never could get them to come in. It was about the last day of the spring season. decided to use the gobbler call and wouldnt you know they came in on a leash sadly i forgot to chamber a shell and when i did get one chambered i missed lol i wasnt to happy with myself that day to say the least. i usually use the gobbler call after all else fails.