turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting a prescribed burn area

Started by Browning4140, March 09, 2016, 12:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

I received a phone call today from my local state forest service who told me that they are planning on doing a control burn on my property this week which is a 15 year old pine stand with a few hard woods mixed in with it. They burnt it 3 years ago so it killed a bunch of underbrush and some of the trees where they were really thick. Most of the ones that were killed during the fire have fell over and kinda made it hard to get around in some places so I am going to assume after the burn that it will open the pine thicket up quite a bit more. But my question is, with my local spring turkey season coming in next month, will the burn have a negative impact on my season this year or will it help it. The tract is about 65ac. Thanks for any help or advice.

Spurs

Burns are the absolute best thing ever when it comes to turkey habitat.  You will be pleasantly surprised.
This year is going to suck!!!

Smooth_Operator

IMO burning is better than having food plots. There is nothing better for drawing turkey to your property than a good burn. We had a burn a few years ago on one of our leases, and the nearby field was freshly plowed right before turkey season, it was an amazing season to say the least.  I'd be willing to bet you're going to enjoy that property this spring  :funnyturkey:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

kyturkeyhunter4

Burning is one of the best things you can do to you property, the turkeys love it. You will be amazed at the birds that you will see. It will definitely help it for sure.

Mossyguy

I've been keeping up with the burn areas here on Fort Benning the last couple weeks...those will be at the top of my list to check. I've seen turkeys in burned areas that were still smoking.

chcltlabz

When I was in Georgia, those burns were the first place I'd head because that's where the birds were.  The seat on my vest was actually melted from sitting on the hot ground.  Some of those pine stumps can smolder for a long time.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Spurs on March 09, 2016, 12:11:39 AM
Burns are the absolute best thing ever when it comes to turkey habitat.  You will be pleasantly surprised.
X2

dejake

A little off topic, and forgive my ignorance, but how can the forest service tell you (and do) that they're going to burn YOUR property?

mudfeather

Quote from: dejake on March 09, 2016, 07:59:33 AM
A little off topic, and forgive my ignorance, but how can the forest service tell you (and do) that they're going to burn YOUR property?
\

I was thinking the same thing...

Spitten and drummen

I have killed birds that the burn still had embers here and there and still hazy with smoke. turkeys absolutely love a burn. I think they enjoy feeding on all the crisp bugs that don't make it out. the fresh sprouts afterwards provide tender vegetation. I think they are some of the best places to hunt turkeys.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

FLGobstopper

A property I used to hunt 15 years or so ago, had a similar scenario and I got the call that they would be burning right before turkey season. Well the before turned out being the afternoon before opening day.

Before 8am opening morning I had a good gobbler on the ground in the fresh burned area with smoke and embers still smoldering. Fun hunt! Killed many birds and had many a good hunts in burned areas since then and I'm not afraid of fresh.

Burns make me :happy0064:

alloutdoors

I was wondering that too. Maybe it's entered into some sort of easement arrangement?

Back on topic, I killed my Osceola in a fresh burn last year. The whole area smelled like a barbecue pit. I wish burns were used here in NY the way they are down south.

WCD4

J-Shaped

I'd go buy a lottery ticket today if I were you...

FLGobstopper

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 09, 2016, 12:37:11 PM
I was wondering that too. Maybe it's entered into some sort of easement arrangement?

Back on topic, I killed my Osceola in a fresh burn last year. The whole area smelled like a barbecue pit. I wish burns were used here in NY the way they are down south.

Typically a property owner / manager etc will request or schedule a burn with the Division of Forestry or a certified forester or prescribed burner and they put it on a wait list. Depending upon the agency or person doing it, the actual completion of that prescribed burn could take anywhere from a few weeks depending on the weather to a few years depending on the weather and how backed up the burn crew is.