turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tick prevention

Started by wmn2, March 07, 2016, 02:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

I am looking into using Sawyer's for the first time. Is the pre-mixed stuff ok for me to use or would I be better off buying the concentrated and mixing it myself? I'll be spraying my gloves, headnet, shirt, jacket, pants, and boots.

Tennessee Lead

I use the premixed

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

Dtrkyman

I have used pre mixed, permanone, different brand same active ingredient, works fantastic, treat my clothes twice per season and rarely get a tick!

OldSchool

I just started using tick spray last summer. Sawyers is what I found here locally, so that's what I bought. No complaints with it so far. It was pre mix, by the way.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

FullChoke

I started out by using the spray Repel Permanone. Last year I switched over to soaking my clothes in the mix/concentrate which is less expensive. I am glad to report that since I started using permethrin 5 years ago, I have not found one single tick on me.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

WisTurk

I just started using Sawyer's a couple of years ago and wish I had done it sooner.  I think I will start making my own though once my last bottle is used up.

Farmboy27

Looks like I need to get some!!  Was always wondering about it but could never find anyone who tried it.  Would be nice not dig 20-30 ticks out of myself every spring!!

bbcoach

I mix my own (cheaper).  If you mix it to the .5%, 20 oz of water to 1 oz of 10% permethrin, you can get 16 bottles out of a pint and 32 bottles out of a quart.  A quart of 10% permethrin will run around $22 and 1 bottle of Sawyers (.5%) is $9 to $10.  IMO the only thing going for Sawyers is convenience.  You decide. 

HFultzjr

wmn2

Thanks for the tips guys! I appreciate it. Now if only they could find a snake repellent and I'd be good.

yella yelper

Does this stuff work on chiggers too?

TRG3

The permethrin concentrate that I get at the local ag chemical store and mix with water keeps ticks and chiggers off me during turkey season, summer months, and the late summe/fall tree squirrel season. For a couple of bucks, you can make enough to last from spring until fall. I was told via a post that the type of permethrin that I was using would not stick to clothing and hence was not very effective. The ticks and chiggers failed to get that memo since I have not been bothered by them after using this product for the past 5-6 years.

HFultzjr

This is the stuff I use.
Clothing, vests, blinds, seats, packs, everyhting. I even spray around my deck to keep the critters at bay.
http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B001EVKCKM
Dilute as instructed.

captpete