OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Solution To Prevent Lost Strikers

Started by Fan Club, March 05, 2016, 08:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan Club

Who hasn't lost a favorite striker? If you turkey hunt long enough, it's going to happen. You decide to move on a gobbler in the heat of an exchange and you leave one on the ground or forget to zip up your vest pocket. And turkey vest striker accommodations are notoriously inept. I've had vests that carried them securely, but the tips rubbed on the bottom of the pocket which shined them up and they needed reconditioning before every use. You don't need that hassle when timing is critical.

My solution is to use a see through zippered mesh pouch to carry my strikers, conditioning kit and box chalk in. The entire pouch fits in my turkey vest pocket and I just place the unzipped pouch between my legs when working a bird at a setup. I haven't lost a striker or accessory in 4 seasons since I went to this system. You can take the entire pouch in the house to exchange strikers or add fresh sandpaper and chalk for the next day's hunt without digging through your vest looking for stuff. The brand I have is FEARLESS which makes an assortment of tool bags and tool organizing solutions. They are available at most home improvement stores such as Home Depot, Menards or Lowes and retail for about 10 bucks for a 3 pk. Get a pouch, you won't regret it!

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

Ericbrooks

Fan Club

Bump...

Wanted some more folks to see this before it got buried!

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

idratherb

Strick9

For my strikers I take a piece of block foam and make appropriate sized holes all the way through so that  so that the tip doesn't rest on anything. I then force the block of foam into my vest pocket. No zipper noise or other tools of the trade rattling around against each other.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

pappy

Quote from: Strick9 on March 17, 2016, 08:54:32 PM
For my strikers I take a piece of block foam and make appropriate sized holes all the way through so that  so that the tip doesn't rest on anything. I then force the block of foam into my vest pocket. No zipper noise or other tools of the trade rattling around against each other.
I go to the Dollar Tree Store and pick up a couple of the solid pool noodles and drill them out to fir the strikers and inside my carrying bag...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

scoot12

Great idea Jeff,  thanks for sharing.  Scoot

tha bugman