turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

CWD positive elk found in Arkansas

Started by HogBiologist, March 03, 2016, 08:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

A cow elk harvested in October 2015 has tested positive for CWD. Below is a link to a video about the issue.

http://youtu.be/fZZrQivjVQc
Certified Wildlife Biologist

fallhnt

That's not good. The IL deer herd has cwd in the northern part of the state and every winter they have sharp shooters kill deer. This may sound bad but our neighbor to the north has cwd too. They to had a plan but stopped, or reduced activity, and now WI cwd is on the rise. IL is still in check. Lots of IL hunters are mad that they don't see a deer behind every tree too like they did 10 yrs ago but with cwd things could be a lot worse. MO cwd ,as far as I know, is in the northern part of the state.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

J-Shaped

I hated to hear this. The success of the Buffalo River elk herd has been a great thing to be able to witness and enjoy. I hope that whatever approach the AGFC takes is methodical and not an overreaction like some states seem to have taken. I'll reserve judgement until I see what the future holds.

fallhnt

I think people thought WI was overreacting too but CWD is rising again there. It is sad to think that AR could loose Elk and deer.

HogBiologist

There are videos of the public meetings held this week on the Agfc YouTube page. They will attempt to sample over 200 deer and about 40 elk inside a 5 mile radius from the kill site. This will happen beginning Monday and last all month of March.

fallhnt

I didn't watch the whole video. Are they going to drug and test or shoot and test? I really don't have much knowledge on this subject so you'll have to pardon  my ignorance.

HogBiologist

Quote from: fallhnt on March 03, 2016, 10:30:04 PM
I didn't watch the whole video. Are they going to drug and test or shoot and test? I really don't have much knowledge on this subject so you'll have to pardon  my ignorance.
The only test is by testing the brain stem (obex) and lymph nodes. Have to kill the animals to get the samples. All meat that tests negative will be given to either the land owners the animals are taken off of or donated to HFTH.

kcrebel

Quote from: HogBiologist on March 03, 2016, 11:23:42 PM
The only test is by testing the brain stem (obex) and lymph nodes.

I'm certain that isn't accurate as I had the KS buck I shot in early November test positive for CWD. 
The local taxidermist that I had cape my buck was participating in a voluntary CWD monitoring program with the KDWFP.  The taxidermist removed a tooth and that is what they tested.  I left my name and contact info.  Got a call from a KDWFP officer about three weeks ago notifying me that my buck had tested positive.  Thankfully we had not consumed any of the meat. 
I'm thankful it was tested but I could not help but think of how many deer are not tested annually in areas like KS where CWD has not been an issue to date.