Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

835 .676 stardot lb 3.5-2-6 may have answer

Started by reflexl, March 03, 2016, 09:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

On a hunch last night I cut one of the shells open and measured the resin filled shot charge. The inside of the wad where the charge is glued together measures .665". This is a ported over bore barrel. The choke measures .676". Right now theory but will figure out proof. The wad contains the shot till it hits the barrel ports. The wad sheds and the ball of glued together shot stays intact until it leaves the barrel Since the choke is larger than the ball of glued shot the choke doesn't shatter the resin. Since many of the pellets are still glued together it would explain the huge numbers of two and three shot clusters.

Narf

Quote from: reflexl on March 03, 2016, 09:59:30 AM
On a hunch last night I cut one of the shells open and measured the resin filled shot charge. The inside of the wad where the charge is glued together measures .665". This is a ported over bore barrel. The choke measures .676". Right now theory but will figure out proof. The wad contains the shot till it hits the barrel ports. The wad sheds and the ball of glued together shot stays intact until it leaves the barrel Since the choke is larger than the ball of glued shot the choke doesn't shatter the resin. Since many of the pellets are still glued together it would explain the huge numbers of two and three shot clusters.
I would say there are a lot more physics at hand than cluster and choke diameter,  but I'm curious to see the results.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vaturkey

You need to be a spokesperson for Winchester !
Vaturkey

reflexl

Quote from: vaturkey on March 03, 2016, 12:22:07 PM

Actually I would just like to get to the bottom of it and see how consistently this can be done. I though my BPS with its .665 IC choke and 3.5" Heavy #7 was something. It isn't doing quite what this ones doing. I have a 12 gauge Encore Muzzle-loader turkey gun and I am going to take the shot still encased in resin and stick it in a Ballistic Products shot cup to try to duplicate this. If you have any ideals I would love to hear them.

Gobble!

Quote from: reflexl on March 03, 2016, 12:43:50 PM

Actually I would just like to get to the bottom of it and see how consistently this can be done. I though my BPS with its .665 IC choke and 3.5" Heavy #7 was something. It isn't doing quite what this ones doing. I have a 12 gauge Encore Muzzle-loader turkey gun and I am going to take the shot still encased in resin and stick it in a Ballistic Products shot cup to try to duplicate this. If you have any ideals I would love to hear them.

I'd just be interested in seeing a second shot. Your pattern is probably the best lead pattern EVER shot. That shot would have won 12-gauge Open Division and the 12-gauge Hunter Division at the world championship by about 50 pellets. Pretty hard to believe.

reflexl

I know its hard to count off that picture but there are multiple twin and triple shot holes. I am going to deep clean the barrel again Saturday depending on the weather and try to duplicate this target. Once again I don't have any reason to try to snow anyone. I have shot some since then and got in the 280's at 40 yards. After I shot the longbeards I got out some of the XX 3.5-2-5 and shot them. It was just average. Definitely a dead bird but nothing like these. I have been playing with the glued shot out of the wad. I am sure that upon acceleration some of it breaks but this is pretty tough. I am fairly sure that at least part of it is staying together which would account for the double and triple strikes. I will try to shoot some high res pics of the next targets.

reflexl

That was my original though but it seemed like it could be the answer. I am going to take some more chokes when I shoot it. Right now I don't know whether to complain or rejoice. At 25 yards it isn't leaving much room for era.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Gobble! on March 03, 2016, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: reflexl on March 03, 2016, 12:43:50 PM

I'd just be interested in seeing a second shot. Your pattern is probably the best lead pattern EVER shot. That shot would have won 12-gauge Open Division and the 12-gauge Hunter Division at the world championship by about 50 pellets. Pretty hard to believe.
Concur. Pls post additional pics if they're available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reflexl

Didn't get to re-shoot it Saturday. On the turkey callers group on face book there are some more patterns that look nearly identical to mine all with the longbeards. I got the scope on my BPS and sighted it this morning. I normally shoot mag-blends in it. I popped one of the longbeards in it an at 25 yards it was virtually a hole in the target.