turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

trumpet sound distance

Started by strutnrut, March 03, 2016, 09:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnrut

So I know this topic gets started every year but this is what happened.

The Son-in-Law and I was looking for deer horns on this field ever couple of days. There have  been a few turkeys on the lower end of the field. All hens.  I seen one gobbler off to the left. I took my Doug Morgan Trumpet that I got from him at Unicoi. I clucked and yelped.  I didn't call directly at him I pitched the sound into the Pines running down the field. WHY, because sometime a field bird will leave the a field if he can see down where you are and can't see a hen. The Old boy picked his head up, I cut and he went to strut, I yelped again and he threw down . Every time I would yelp he would gobble.  I let him lose interest and go back to feeding and I called again. He went back to Strut and gobbled on the first few notes on the next series of yelps.  This bird was 800+ yards away at 5 pm in 42 degree weather with about 30 hens in the field with him. This was the first time I had called at a bird with Doug's trumpet and I am more than pleased with the call. Well built, easy to run and got a great sound. This Tom gave his approval also.   
So Just because you can't see or hear a gobbler doesn't mean he doesn't hear you or doesn't respond to the call. This just happened to be one of those time where you could see what happened when you called and got to watch his response. 
Ever wonder how many times a bird answers you and you don't even know it. OR just how far a bird can hear you call. Open woods, open mountain tops, power lines or open fields I would have to say a lot further than I can hear.   

SO all you guys thinking about trying a trumpet. IMO if you spend the time to learn how to run one, it can be and is a deadly weapon. 

davisd9

I have heard that a the pitch of a trumpet will travel farther than any other call.  It is hard to believe that it will travel farther than a long box but the type of sound turkeys pick up is the difference maker.  Trumpets are like no other call.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BowBendr

I started a gobbler up on a trumpet last year in KY on opening day. It was pretty windy later in the morning. He was strutting on a pond levee at over 300 yds. He cut my calls off, I couldnt hear him but I could see his neck run out there when he hammered.
Finished him with a mouth call when he came under 100 but if it weren't for that trumpet I never coulda' got him fired up.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

strutnrut

if you take the time to learn to run a trumpet or suction call they are hard to beat. I have trouble running a mouth call low sometimes. The only time I have problems with a suction call is when my mouth is to dry or if I get winded walking to fast to get around in front of a bird to cut it off.