turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pheasant Loads For Turkeys

Started by Swather, March 02, 2016, 02:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swather

I have intended for a while to experiment with pheasant loads in my turkey guns.  I have some on hand from trips out west in storage, and was thinking about picking up a box of Fiocchi Golden Pheasants.  The loads in the 3 inch shells in 12 ga. are 1-3/4, a little lighter than some turkey loads (smaller pellet count).  A box of 25 pheasant shells is a better deal than a 10 rd. box of turkey loads. 

Anyone tested them and have records on what shot better and what shot worse (plated loads, buffered, heavier vs. lighter shot load, etc.)?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fiocchi-Golden-Pheasant-Ammunition-Per-Box/739972.uts

Farmboy27

Never tried the 3" pheasant loads but back in the day, before all the special turkey loads in the 5 and 10 round boxes came about, we all killed a pile of birds using whatever 25 round box of 2 3/4- 3" magnums was the cheapest at the local store.  Most of us didn't pattern our guns, we just assumed that a magnum shell would kill em out to 30 yards!  So we went out, called birds into 30 yards, and killed em.  If I had just stuck with that approach I'd have spent a lot less money over the years and probably had just as many dead gobblers!

decoykrvr

Several years ago I evaluated the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 12 gauge, 23/4", 13/8 oz, nickel-plated 6's at 1250 fps for a friend looking for a "reduced" turkey load for his daughter.  With the shooting parameters of 35 yards or less, the load produced an even killing pattern w/ a BPS and an IC .665.  I have always operated on the theory that the shells which I shoot during turkey season are the least expensive component of my entire season.  Why potentially scrimp on the maximum performance of your shotgun for a few dollars saved on marginally effective turkey loads?

dutch@fx4

Hey boys I have killed a lot of turkeys with the old paper haul imperial shot shells and will be shooting some in the old single shot 16 this year. Any load that will kill a pheasant flying at 30 yards will kill s turkey. Dutch

blueridgegobbler

Ive killed em with a lot less than 1 3/4 oz of 6 for example 1 1/4 oz 7.5s just pattern them the will do fine provided they pattern ok. Most turkeys were killed with high brass game loads until we made their heads and necks seem like armored trucks lol.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: blueridgegobbler on March 02, 2016, 07:20:29 PM
Ive killed em with a lot less than 1 3/4 oz of 6 for example 1 1/4 oz 7.5s just pattern them the will do fine provided they pattern ok. Most turkeys were killed with high brass game loads until we made their heads and necks seem like armored trucks lol.

isn't that the truth
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

lowoctane

Preach on Brother!!!   :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

stinkpickle

:icon_thumright: