turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

frictionwood call

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 01, 2016, 03:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

does anyone make a frictionwood call that is similar to the Kenny morgans frictionwood calls. would love to have one ok kennys , but they are like finding a needle in a haystack. so if anyone knows where I can get a frictionwood call please let me know. thanks
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

hunter22

I have a couple of Kenny Morgan's Frictionwood calls and they are deadly. I also have one that Kenny Harrell made that is somewhat similar in looks and sound. Kenny Harrell was living in south central Mississippi the last I heard.

idratherb

If you want a kenny morgan Id suggest you take out a Home equity line on your current home cause you will need it..

born2hunt

That's funny,  I just posted to the other thread asking about them.  I have never seen one but now I gotta get one.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

callmakerman

Not going to be easy with the prices they command. I got lucky and picked one up that I do not believe was ever used for 100 shipped. Keep looking you never know.

WillowRidgeCalls

Morgans are near impossible to find much less afford. The tongue calls are closely related to a Morgan, but in a different shape, both are friction wood callers.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

born2hunt

Just out of curiosity,  what would be highly expensive for one ?
I've never even seen one so I have no idea.
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

idratherb

drenalinld

I have a couple for hard times! Killers!

Spitten and drummen

I know they are good calls. everyone that has them say they are killer calls. my question is , if they are so effective , why doesn't anyone really make them anymore? there are a lot of talented callmakers here and elsewhere that should be making them in my opinion. it sounds like they could really sell them. I know Kenny Harrell makes one , but imo it doesn't really sound as good as kennys. harrell stated that there was never a patent placed on kennys frictionwood. im just curious.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

born2hunt

Quote from: idratherb on March 01, 2016, 10:30:32 PM
$300 to $400

Yeah...I could see someone paying that much but I'm just not that much of a collector.  Guess I'll just do without unless someone replicates them.

WillowRidgeCalls

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 02, 2016, 08:11:38 AM
I know they are good calls. everyone that has them say they are killer calls. my question is , if they are so effective , why doesn't anyone really make them anymore? there are a lot of talented callmakers here and elsewhere that should be making them in my opinion. it sounds like they could really sell them. I know Kenny Harrell makes one , but imo it doesn't really sound as good as kennys. harrell stated that there was never a patent placed on kennys frictionwood. im just curious.
It could be, because no one has ever asked a call maker to build them one? Look at the tongue calls, they've been around since the 60's and until the NWTF asked call builders to enter a tongue call, very few builders had ever tried to build one. Now they're about a dozen guys building them. Popularity is the big killer of friction wood calls. It takes a lot of work to build them right and not everyone can do it, most guys won't waste time building something that they can sell only a few of to certain people. Friction wood calls are a fussy call to operate and keep operating correctly, todays hunters don't like them because they have to baby them, they can't just stick it in their vest and run and the next time they want to use it they have to surface it or chalk to use it again, todays laziness is what had killed the popularity of a lot of good sounding calls.
Scott

Spitten and drummen

I watched Kenny morgans video and his call sounded outstanding. I haven't heard any other frictionwood type call that sounded anything like kennys. I guess that may be why they are so expensive as well as the fact he passed away. he was definitely a turkey man
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

WillowRidgeCalls

Scott

quavers59

Great posts here!! Now, I realize just how important it is for me not to misplace my frictionwood!! When, I hunt with it- I have a small camo-sack that closes over it just right!