turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

It's Almost Time!

Started by AC HAMMER, March 01, 2016, 08:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC HAMMER

Its March 1st.... Which means it's almost turkey season! Post a picture with your bird from previous years with a short story along with it. This could get good!

762hunter

Last year I rented a family friends cabin to take my girlfriend and her mom camping.  Her mom was battling lung cancer and we felt it possibly would be her last getaway. 
I knew there were birds in the area and had hopes of hunting in the AM before they woke up.
Saturday AM I went to a ridge top to listen.  There were 3 birds gobbling, 1 in front, 1 off to my right, and 1 off to my left.
I found a good spot to set up and just waited for them to fly down.
I lost 2 of the birds as I never heard them again. The 1 to my left I could hear fly down and figured I could get him in.  He showed up and stopped behind a tree at 25-30 yards, nice long beard but no shot. Then all the sudden he started acting spooky and took off flying away and down the ridge.  Just as I was asking myself what could have possibly spooked him I catch movement to the left. A big ole pig with 5 babies.  1st hog I've ever encountered while out hunting.
I packed it up for the day and started putting together a plan for Sunday AM.

Sunday morning was cold cold cold.  I went to the same ridge in hopes that he came back to rest in the same area. Sure enough there he was gobbling his head off about 150-200 yards away. Within 5 minutes of his feet hitting the ground I blasted away with my 20ga 870 and I was headed back to the cabin with a bird over my shoulder.
My girlfriend was happy for me but her mom was elated. She was so happy that it just made everything that much better. 

She has since passed but I'll always remember that morning, that hunt, and that bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

That's a great memorable hunt 762 :icon_thumright:

Here one that I shot last season. Stubborn Ol Tom would answer me every other call. Each time was further away it seemed like. Then no answer at all,I figured he had hens and went the other way. So I take a quick 15 min cat nap. Open my eyes quick glance around,slooooooly. All is clear and quiet.
  So I shake em up with the gobble tube. He gobbles right where he was,I hit him again he answers... Two in a row. Wait... A couple of soft yelps on th WB. He answered again. Some what closer. Then I did what he did to me. I gave him the silent treatment. He couldn't resist. He creeped in 20 minutes later and down came the hammer.

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

tomstopper

I got to a pipeline earl in the morning and just sat there drinking my coffee waiting for the morning to start to wake up. After about 30 mins, I quietly got out of the truck and got my gear on and just stood there and listened. After about ten minutes of just standing there I started to reach for my owl tube and before I could pull it out, a gobbler just started cutting loose. That bird never shut up and I didn't use a location call once. I instead, snuck up around to the left and got onto another pipe line and made my way to him in the darkness (because he wouldn't shut up, it was easy to keep tabs on him). When I got to within about 75 yards, I found a spot against a tree and was focused on the bend towards his location on the pipe line. I made a couple soft calls and then some scratching in the leaves and I swear that I can still hear him hitting the ground with a huge thud. That bird was so fired up that he came around that bend in just seconds and at about 5:45 am, he was dead on the ground. Barely enough light but enough to see he was a mature bird and with all that gobbling, it ranks as one of my coolest hunts.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 01, 2016, 10:20:21 AM
That's a great memorable hunt 762 :icon_thumright:

Here one that I shot last season. Stubborn Ol Tom would answer me every other call. Each time was further away it seemed like. Then no answer at all,I figured he had hens and went the other way. So I take a quick 15 min cat nap. Open my eyes quick glance around,slooooooly. All is clear and quiet.
  So I shake em up with the gobble tube. He gobbles right where he was,I hit him again he answers... Two in a row. Wait... A couple of soft yelps on th WB. He answered again. Some what closer. Then I did what he did to me. I gave him the silent treatment. He couldn't resist. He creeped in 20 minutes later and down came the hammer.

Awesome picture and I love that old school 835

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

Tennessee Lead

This was the closest shot I've ever had to make on a turkey.
5 steps. He came in behind me. I made a move to my right before he came into view. I watched him strut and drum from the top of the hill till he reached the tree I had been leaned up against. My backpack was still there. I tagged out with him. One of the best hunts I've had.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on March 01, 2016, 11:38:49 AM

Thanks T.L  :icon_thumright:

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 01, 2016, 02:33:00 PM
Quote from: Tennessee Lead on March 01, 2016, 11:38:49 AM

Thanks T.L  :icon_thumright:
Yes sir.
My Daddy is still killing with his to.

TrackeySauresRex

Is that a Tasco pro point on her TL? I had one on mine for a good while. I just moved it over to my new 20. That is a great red dot. It held up to many 3-1/2 shells.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 01, 2016, 05:31:40 PM
Is that a Tasco pro point on her TL? I had one on mine for a good while. I just moved it over to my new 20. That is a great red dot. It held up to many 3-1/2 shells.

Yes it is. Nice eye. I thought it was but I asked him to make sure.

Vaturkeyhntr

Most memorable hunt from last season has to be one where me and my dad doubled.  I killed my bird not 30 seconds after his feet hit the ground to tag out and then we went to another farm right down the road and ended up having a group of jakes come in about 20 minutes later.  With my dad not being picky he shot one of the Jakes when they finally separated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC HAMMER

Those stories are getting me fired up for the season! About 45 days or so away still for Ohio.

MK M GOBL

Had a great start to last years spring season, WI has a youth season which opens up the weekend prior to our regular season. I had some friends out with their kids for the weekend and we had some luck! On Saturday I had Sam & Wyatt out and we had birds working right off the roost, both of these boys first time turkey hunting and we scored a double by 7:30am. Then Abbey was able to take her bird on a late morning hunt just before 10:30am. After cleaning the birds a bit of lunch and showing the kids how I mount the fans, beard and spurs, another friend called and asked how we did. After recounting the hunt with him he asked if I would be able to take his son on his last (15 year old) youth hunt. So on Sunday last day he would have to hunt I took him out to one of my favorite spots and we were able to score on another longbeard!

What a weekend 4 kids and 4 birds down!

MK M GOBL

Sam & Wyatt Youth Season Double

MK M GOBL

And Abbey's late morning bird!

MK M GOBL

cramerhunts

That's great stuff MK M GOBL!

My favorite has to be last year after signing over my Gould's tag to my daughter. I love hunting with her and she made great use of the tag with this big ole tom. They were henned up pretty bad but we were able to get in front of him and draw him into 25 yards. Was easily the most gobbles I've ever heard, they were hammering almost all day.