OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which gun Mossberg 500/Mossberg 835/Remington 870

Started by Browning4140, February 26, 2016, 08:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

Which gun would be the best gun to buy for turkey hunting? Mossberg 500/Mossberg 835/Remington 870. This gun will be used strictly for turkey. Also out of those 3 has anyone had any major problems with them? Thanks for any help and information.

turkeywhisperer935

The 835 will beat the others hands down. Patterns better than anything I've seen with the right combination even patterns well with the factory choke. I know first hand cause I've owned all 3.

CrustyRusty

Get a Browning, Browning!  BPS is an amazing turkey gun.    If youre set on the above choices...835

Happy

In my opinion if your shooting a 3" shell any of them will work. Your gonna get the most out of the 835 with a 3.5" shell.
Personally I am a mossy guy. Nothing wrong with the remington tho. Whichever fits you best. Goodluck.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

surehuntsalot

Mossberg 835 hands down, best patterning shotgun that I have ever shot
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Mike Honcho

835 for turkey.  I like the 24" ported barrel  turkey model. Put Tru Glo Magnum Gobble Stopper sights on it and a good choke.

bbcoach

835.  I've owned one for about ten years now and I couldn't be more pleased.  Overbored barrel makes for some impressive patterns.  Plenty of chokes to get the pattern you want.  It will shoot any shell up to 3 1/2's equally well.  Add a quality set of adjustable sights or scope on top and a Limbsaver recoil pad and you'll have a lifetime Turkey Killin machine.

USMC0331

Go with the one that feels more comfortable in your hands. There are many aftermarket chokes and accessories for any of them. With the right set up all are equal in pattern capability.

Farmboy27

I've always loved the 870's fit and feel. That being said I've seen 835's throw patterns that make my 870's best patterns look sick. They are all fine guns but I'll have to go with the crowd. Dedicated turkey gun, 835 hands down.

agent eight seven O

I like a 21" 870 with a  Kick's choke and Winchester Super X turkey shells.

Izzyjoe

I'm a Remington guy, but the patterns that 835 put up are awesome. If I could only have one shotgun for any kind of hunting it would be an 835, but I've invested time and money in others I can't afford to go a different route.

paboxcall

If you are shooting 3.5" go with the 835, it's a tank.  If not, I would go with the Remington.  I owned a 500, it had a major POA/POI problem, and shells getting stuck in the tube after the spring twisted.

I shoot a 1300 now, and an NEF single using 3" shells.  Just my experience.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

762hunter

I have always been a fan of the 870.
Can't knock the 500 or 835 but I personally do bot like where the safety is on the mossy.
Not a wrong choice in the bunch, it's whatever you like to tote and hopefully squeeze the trigger occasionally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howl

The Mossberg 535 is a lighter gun than the 500 and much lighter than the 835.