turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth Call Rasp

Started by Bottomland, February 21, 2016, 06:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland

How do i get the clear front end on my yelps and bring the rasp in towards the end?  My front end of my yelp is to raspy. Is it tongue position or what?

Jbird22

It could be a few things...
#1. Are you running air across the reeds correctly?
#2. Tongue position and pressure both matter.
#3. Is the call capable of producing a clear note to begin with?

Clardh

Bottomland,
I have the same problem. I have all the instructional videos and I still have a problem. I'm able to kee kee like a pro yet my yelp is all rasp. It will be interesting to see what people say.

Jbird22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPXoGEZeYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPnzMPp5LQ

Just this year I decided I wanted more realism in my yelping so I decided to try to "huff" (as some call it) when running a mouth call. I think Shane Simpson covers it pretty well in the video in the top link. Also, Scott Ellis puts his spin on it in the bottom link. I sure learned some things from both videos. What has ended up working best for me is I'm essentially saying "hip" when I yelp. It's more drug out on the front side with "hiiiiiiii" and shuts of rather abruptly with the "p" and the end. I also saw another post where Savduck (Del Crow) described to someone to think of saying "hep". Either way, it's the same principle. Hope that helps!

SteelerFan

Shane could have saved me an easy $100+ worth of "one & done", now in the trash can calls over the years!!! Lol

TRKYHTR

If the call has too much overhang it will be hard to get a high front end. Both those videos are really good. Good luck.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

bangbird

Some folks are never able to produce a true two note yelp.  I have a buddy I've been hunting with for 20 years and he just can't get it.  He's still a good caller and kills a lot of birds, but can not get a two note yelp.  I work with him every season with different style calls and he can't get it.  I think some folks mouths are just built differently and it won't allow them to produce the two note yelp.

dejake

Rick Howard

It won't matter to a turkey but it matters to me.  I want to be able to do it.  For no other reason than I want to and enjoy trying to. 

I have watched those videos and they are great.  I think its just my mouth but I keep trying.   

TRKYHTR

Rick it's the mechanics of how you are blowing the air across the call and the call itself. If you make your own calls try making a 3 reed prof stretched at 150 with a combo cutt. Trying huffing the air until you can find the kee kee part of the kee kee run on that call and transition it into your yelp. Speed up the airflow going into the yelp. Hope that helps.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Rick Howard

Thanks Joe.  I will try that with my current call.  I am going to be trying some other again soon.  Its become a pre season tradition for me to try new calls. 

I do not make my own mouth calls.  I make my own predator mouth call but its not really primitive.  I use a 2x4 with some binder clips and tacks to stretch the latex..  Then clamp a frame on there.  Slap some tape around it and call it good lol. 

I think part of my problem is the frame size and I loose the position of the call in my mouth often.  A youth frame is too small though.  Mr. Gooserbat is working on fixing me up something to try though.

bangbird

I disagree.  It does matter to a turkey.  More realism is more likely to bring a gobbler in.

When I'm hunting with my buddy that I spoke of earlier, and we are working a bird, a lot of times the bird won't answer his yelp, but will immediately answer me.

Gooserbat

I believe it's individual to each caller.  I personally do best with a proph ghost cut with the points left intact and stretched a little loose.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Bottomland on February 21, 2016, 06:46:53 PM
How do i get the clear front end on my yelps and bring the rasp in towards the end?  My front end of my yelp is to raspy. Is it tongue position or what?

If you are a relatively experienced mouth call user and you cannot produce the sounds you want, it is most likely the call you are using.  I totally agree with the idea that some mouth calls are not capable of producing the "box call yelp".  To me, the answer is found in a combination of practice, practice, practice,...and searching for the right call. 

I only partially agree that it makes a real difference in most hunting situations.  From my experience, gobblers seem to sometimes be looking for a specific sound from a calling hen.  It may be because there is a real hen that he is familiar with that sounds a certain way,...I don't really know.  I can say that I have, over and over and over again, been in situations where a gobbler would respond to one kind of hen yelping much better than others.  And many times it was not because the caller was using the classic two-note hen yelp.  Many times it was the ugliest sounding yelping you ever heard,...from a hunter, or a real hen,...that held his attention and got him to respond.

Having said that, the caller who can change up his yelping "at will", and produce a variety of different yelps, as well as other calls, is going to be ahead of the caller who cannot.  It is never a bad thing to be able to vary your calling to suit the situation.  The trick is being able to do it when you want to,...and need to.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 24, 2016, 09:38:53 AM
Quote from: Bottomland on February 21, 2016, 06:46:53 PM

If you are a relatively experienced mouth call user and you cannot produce the sounds you want, it is most likely the call you are using.  I totally agree with the idea that some mouth calls are not capable of producing the "box call yelp".  To me, the answer is found in a combination of practice, practice, practice,...and searching for the right call. 

I only partially agree that it makes a real difference in most hunting situations.  From my experience, gobblers seem to sometimes be looking for a specific sound from a calling hen.  It may be because there is a real hen that he is familiar with that sounds a certain way,...I don't really know.  I can say that I have, over and over and over again, been in situations where a gobbler would respond to one kind of hen yelping much better than others.  And many times it was not because the caller was using the classic two-note hen yelp.  Many times it was the ugliest sounding yelping you ever heard,...from a hunter, or a real hen,...that held his attention and got him to respond.

Having said that, the caller who can change up his yelping "at will", and produce a variety of different yelps, as well as other calls, is going to be ahead of the caller who cannot.  It is never a bad thing to be able to vary your calling to suit the situation.  The trick is being able to do it when you want to,...and need to.
very well said. this I agre with.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE