turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington super full federal hw 7

Started by cluck, February 21, 2016, 05:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cluck

My question is can or should a rem super full be used with federal hw 7 shot? The choke says lead only. It's been shot with this combination one time for one shot. It shot over 150 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. A tru lok number 7 shot 103. The primos jelly head maxim shot over 150 but chews up shot cups and I've missed 3 turkey's in two years with it. Don't trust it. Sometime when patterning the shot cup looks good and sometimes really bad. It's a ported choke. It's a 11-87 21 inch barrel. Please give me your recommendations and many thanks.  Cluck

g8rvet

Your Trulock numbers sound way off. I would give Mr George a call.  You should be in the 150s or better.

I am pretty sure that the "lead only" warning is for us duck hunters.  No steel shot.  Pretty sure that does not apply to HTL shot. What is the constriction?  Fed HW does not like too tight.   I would call Remington if I were you to be sure, but I have shot 4-5 shots through my daughters youth 870 with a remington full (not super full).  Patterns nice at 30 yards, loses some at 40, but I will keep her shots closer.  Don't want a miss and the full is more forgiving.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

cluck

G8vet.       I believe it's .572. Iam thinking about asking trulock about it. I shot one load of magshok number 5 lead, 1 1/4 once 3 inch out of it but it only put a low 50 plus in a ten circle at 40 yards. Should have tried 30 or 35 yards. Will ask remington about what can be shot through the rem choke. Many thanks again, cluck

owlhoot

Well if its good to go on that RSF. I get between 150-160's with it and HW 7's in a 21" 870 FYI.
Some have said no on shooting the HW in that choke on here though.

Eric Gregg

Quote from: g8rvet on February 21, 2016, 07:19:17 PM
Your Trulock numbers sound way off. I would give Mr George a call.  You should be in the 150s or better.

I am pretty sure that the "lead only" warning is for us duck hunters.  No steel shot.  Pretty sure that does not apply to HTL shot. What is the constriction?  Fed HW does not like too tight.   I would call Remington if I were you to be sure, but I have shot 4-5 shots through my daughters youth 870 with a remington full (not super full).  Patterns nice at 30 yards, loses some at 40, but I will keep her shots closer.  Don't want a miss and the full is more forgiving.

If the choke says Lead Only then you only need to shoot lead through it......Hevi Shot is way more dense than lead and steel and will cause havoc. Always do what the manufacturer says. They do make a Hevi Shot rated choke in RSF just like that one. I have one and it patterns great with Federal Heavy Weight Number 7's. Also the Tru Glo SSX choke gets great numbers along with Carlson. Figure out what you gun likes and shoot that :icon_thumright:

Haypatch

Quote from: Eric Gregg on February 22, 2016, 12:02:17 AM

If the choke says Lead Only then you only need to shoot lead through it......Hevi Shot is way more dense than lead and steel and will cause havoc. Always do what the manufacturer says. They do make a Hevi Shot rated choke in RSF just like that one. I have one and it patterns great with Federal Heavy Weight Number 7's. Also the Tru Glo SSX choke gets great numbers along with Carlson. Figure out what you gun likes and shoot that :icon_thumright:

Im having trouble locating the rsf rated for hevi shot.... any info to lead me in the right direction?

g8rvet

Quote from: Eric Gregg on February 22, 2016, 12:02:17 AM

Did not realize that there are multiple Rem SF variations!  How dumb.  Super Full should be super full in any form - but they don't use it interchangeably.  It is different constrictions in different "allowed shot".  WTH?  That makes no sense.  They should name them by shot - ie Remington Lead Super Full, Remington HTL Super Full, Remington Steel Full, etc.  Or they should name the constriction and then tell the recommended shot. 

Thanks for the clarification, it forced me to do some reading. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.