turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

UNICOI 2017

Started by M Sharpe, February 21, 2016, 08:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M Sharpe

We elected to cut the vendor list off at 60 this year. That was the same as we had last year. We've got a few new ones this year, but for the most part, all of the ones that were there last year will be returning! For you guys that are on the alternate list, if something comes up that one of these guys can make it, then we will pull from that list again. Here is the list of custom call makers coming to Unicoi next year for the show:

Al & Josh Shoemaker, Anthony Ellis, Billy Buice, Bob & Michael Buckner, Bob Harwell, Brandon Washington, Brian Lawter, Chad Scruggs, Dan Harris, Daniel Kinsey, Darrell Gibson, Darrin Dawkins, David Anderson, Dean (Red Beard) Mundhenke, Del Crow & Billy Macallister, Dickie Champion, Donnie Richards & Wesley Whitaker, Doug Morgan, Ed Jenkins, Fred Cox, Gene Gardner, Gerry Bramblett, Harold & Derick Fowler, Hoyt Brown, Irving Whitt, Jamey Rex, Jeff Lacey, Jeff McKamey, Jeremy Safford, Jerry Wilkins, Jody Harrison, John Dangerfield, Joseph Martin, Kelly Puckett, Ken Martin, Kevin Cantrell, Kevin Dorsey, Kevin Farr, Kyle Osborne, Lamar Williams, Lee Chadwick, Lon Trice, Mark McPhail, Mark Prodhomme, Mark Sharpe, Marlin Watkins, Matt McLain, Melvin Newman, Mike Lapp, Olin Humphries, Richard Hudson, Robert Glover, Russell Beard, Scott Veiting, Steve Mann, Steve Torman, Tim Sandford, Wayne Hendrix, Wendell Lancaster and Will Dutton.

That's quite a line up of call makers!! This is an opportunity to get some of the finest turkey calls that money can buy!!

We are still looking for folks that make custom made accessories and supplies to fill up the second floor of the show. If this is you, or you know of someone, please message us here. The cut-off on this second floor is October.

The hours of the show will be from 9-5, both Friday and Saturday!!

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Smooth_Operator

Great lineup, got a cabin booked at the state park a few months back, can't wait!  :turkey2:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

greencop01

:camohat:  Wish I could make that rendezvous, it looks like quite the gathering. If I could get there I don't know if I would have enough time to check out and try all the callers. I  bet this is better than the NWTF Convention by a long shot. Someone should film it and put it on You-Tube.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

M Sharpe

Yep, we had more custom call makers last year than the Nationals had!! We are expanding this year. So far Sum-Toy choke tubes will be there. Darrell Gosey, makes recurves, longbows, and knives will be there. Got the GA DNR biologist doing a seminar on the decline of the turkey population.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Meadow Valley Man

I hope it's not to early to put a plug in for my friend Dan Harris from Texarkana, Texas.  He's got some beautiful longboxes all ready for the show. I wouldn't trade my Harris longbox for anything.

M Sharpe

I've heard nothing but good about Dan's longboxes. Talked to him day before yesterday and he said he was getting some built up!! He sure makes a mighty good short box too!!

Brad Walker

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to turkey hunting. I see a lot of posts that mention Bob Harwell's name for excellent box calls. My question is how do I contact Bob and purchase one of his calls?

M Sharpe

You can come to Unicoi and hand pick one or check your PM's for his number!

M Sharpe

Unicoi will be here before you know it. This year we have elected to have vendors on the second floor as well. These vendors WILL NOT be call makers!! This floor will be made up of people that custom make a hunting related item. EX: box call holsters, choke tube makers, wood suppliers, longbow and re-curve bow builders, turkey totes and etc. We will not have production camo bags, production slings, camo clothing and etc. Everything must me custom made. No flea market stuff!

If you know of anyone that fits this bill and is interested, please have them to contact me at 912-531-1845.
Thanks, Mark Sharpe

Spring Creek Calls

Some pictures from Unicoi 2016.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Happy hooker

If by chance somebody is driving from or through twin cities,Minnesota for this I would be willing to share expenses.

M Sharpe

Ok, here's the scoop!! Unicoi has 46 rooms for Thursday night, 15 rooms for Friday night and 17 rooms for Saturday night!! If you want a room you'd better move now!! Come December those rooms will be gone!!!!

Also, we are going to do the buffet again Friday night!! Ms. Chambers has told me they have a new cook, a better cook, than last year. She assured me the issue with the other room not being opened and the running out of food will not happen this year!!! They have the capability of seating about 180 people there. She is offering the same deal as last year...$14.95/person plus tax. I would like to get a head count of those wanting to partake in this buffet! I wish all vendors would show their support atleast one night to Unicoi for helping make this happen!!!

Also, you new guys that were coming to set up downstairs, will be set up in the lobby on the same floor as the call makers. Ms. Chambers neglected to hold the downstairs. She had told me she would until 90 days out. When I called to tell her we were wanting it as well, she said she had you guys set up in the lobby of the third floor. I think you will like this better any way!!!

We will still be holding the box call makers round table downstairs though!!! We will have a premier lineup of call makers there for you to ask questions of and for them to give their thoughts on how box call making has changed down through the years!! If you see Andy (Drew) Garrett at the show, thank him for this idea!!! I'm looking forward to it myself and looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones come January!!

KentuckyHeadhunter

When is the roundtable event?  Great idea Andy! Count me in for a meal. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

M Sharpe

Foks, when you call Unicoi State Park and Lodge to reserve a room, be sure to tell them you are coming for the Unicoi Turkey Show. I called tonight like I was reserving a room. They told me no rooms were available. I asked how could that be because I had talked to Ms Chambers and knew exactly how many rooms were left. I was told it was because those rooms were blocked out for the show!! So...if you need a room, be sure to tell them Unicoi Turkey Show. This also gets you the discounted price!!

nitro

All credit goes to Mark Sharpe. I merely had an idea- to give folks a chance to meet and listen to some of finest box call makers we are blessed to have.. Should be fun. We need to have a couple of people with video cameras record the even for historical purposes. Several hundred years worth of callmaking and more importantly- hunting experience on one stage.. Wow!! 

:OGturkeyhead:

The Unicoi event itself is a wonderful gathering. To be able to honor and listen to these men will be a bonus not to overlook. I hope to see as many of you there as possible. Let's fill the room up Gents and Ladies. Bring your hard earned money, and if you can - buy a boxcall from one of them.. or more than one.. :icon_thumright:

Best regards,

Andrew Garrett
Royal Slam 2008