turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

got a 835 today

Started by philipriley16, February 16, 2016, 09:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philipriley16

I got a all black 835 with 24 inch barrel today. Really good deal it came with a primos tight wad choke and sling for 175. My question is I'm going to shoot winchester Longbeards out of it in 5 shot also I have some hevi 13 7 shot I'll shoot what choke you all recomend? I'm going to see what it'll do with the tight wad but every other gun I've shot that choke out of I haven't really been impressed.

Tennessee Lead

I used a .675 GT in mine. Shot both shells you listed.
I now use a Carlson Long Beard XR
It seemed to be a better pattern with the Long Beard shells
Great choice on a gun by the way and a heck of a deal.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

dirt road ninja

Great buy. The LB will probably hold a pattern with at choke. The 7's will want something tighter.

agent eight seven O

Congrats on the new gun. My 835 likes the #5 longbeards through a TruGlo SSX. I tried the tightwad also with so so results. The patterns were splotchy.

turkeywhisperer935

Great buy on a real good turkey killed. Try the primos jellyhead and it should pattern both shells.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

Quote from: philipriley16 on February 16, 2016, 09:06:00 PM
I got a all black 835 with 24 inch barrel today. Really good deal it came with a primos tight wad choke and sling for 175. My question is I'm going to shoot winchester Longbeards out of it in 5 shot also I have some hevi 13 7 shot I'll shoot what choke you all recomend? I'm going to see what it'll do with the tight wad but every other gun I've shot that choke out of I haven't really been impressed.

Congratulations! The 835 is a proven turkey gun and it should give you years of service. Last year I evaluated the WLB shells through 32 different chokes and 7 different guns, one being the 835. The chokes that turned in the best results, both in numbers of hits within a 10" circle at 40 yards and with the most even patterns (no gaps of 2" or larger) were the Hevi-13 turkey choke and the SSX.

I would encourage you to "deep clean" the bore of your gun http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel all guns benefit from the process but it was originally written for 835 owners.

Again, best of luck to you with your 835. It's quite a gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Double B

Agree with prior posts.....around 675 is about where you want, I think.  LB XRs in 5 or 6 should make it right.  I shoot an old woodlands camo 835 with star dot choke but only cuz I found it in a closeout at Walmart years ago.  And after trying several others have settled in on LB XRs #5 through my 676 choke....... deep cleaned as Clark described.
Followed by buzzards

SX3Mike

I have shot one for years.  Tried all kinds of chokes/loads.  I shoot a .680 rhino and Nitro MH 517.  The Rhino patterns Hevi 13 #6 very well too.

OldSchool

Congrats on your new gun, should be a good one. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

philipriley16

Thanks guys I ordered a ssx I'll try it first then my buddy has a jelly head I'll try as well. 40 is pushing what I like to shoot. I can shoot that far with no problem I like the 25 to 30 yard shots better but if I miss judge range or make a mistake on my part I want a good even pattern out to 40

chatterbox

I have a 20" barreled 835 with an SSX choke.
I shoot Hevi-13 3-2-7's, and I get about 215 in the 10" circle at 40 yards.
In my 835, the SSX has been the best choice, and puts up the best hunting pattern.

BowBendr

If I wanted to shoot the HS #7's and didnt want to invest a lot of money into a choke I would look at the TruGlo Bone Collector choke. There are some blistering patterns over in the pic section from several guns.
I do pretty good with the LB #6 thru a Kicks .670, and .680 for the 5's.
Lots of SSX shooters report good things also.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

bbcoach

Congrats on a GREAT turkey killer.  835's shoot well with chokes in the .670 to .676.  I shoot the Pure Gold .670 with Hevi 7's through mine and they are devastating.  Longbeard 5's and 6's should shoot very well in the constriction above also.  Good Luck this spring.

tha bugman

Indian Creek and the #7's