OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

snake in the blind

Started by Greg Massey, February 16, 2016, 01:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

How many of you have built a good blind to have a snake come visit you. One day i was setting in my blind and it had already got to be around 10 clock on one of those sunny warm morning and i was about to doze off and it's like i hear the wind pickup and as i look up at the tree limb above my head i'm thinking those leaves are not blowing and as i turn and look down this snake is next to my leg and what i was hearing was his tail vibrating. You talk about someone coming out of a turkey blind...omg...It's was one of those long black racer snakes that we have in Tenn...

dirt road ninja

I've had 5 or 6 rattlesnakes in a box stand with me one morning in Texas that were all about 10 inches long in a pile. It was cool out, so I picked my feet up off the ground and pinned their heads down with the butt of my rifle and slide them to the other side of the box one at a time and with the heads pinned I de-headed with my knife.

born2hunt

A few years ago me and a buddy had got ahead of a few birds that were walking down a fire break.  We slipped in and sat down in a hurry,  checked the birds and they were coming.  Just before they get in site I glanced to my left and see a rattle snake slithering towards me about 10 feet away.  I decided to hold tight and see what he would do. A minute or two passed and the turkeys are now in site but still out of range  and the snake is inching his way closer.  I was sweating bullets and hoping the one gobbler in the group  would hurry up. As they walked into range  my buddy shot I instantly rolled to the right and jumped up , the snake was only 3 feet away !!! Now I'm not necessarily scared of snakes but I don't want a rattler in my lap either.  That's definitely the most stressful hunt I've been on.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Dearhunter3450

Well those stories are what my nightmares are made of! I'm 6'3" and 270 lbs and run like a scared schoolgirl from every snake I see!!

hs strut

ive had a few run ins with snakes over the years fortunately they were all non venomous snakes so i usually just sit still and watch them go about their business.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Swather

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 16, 2016, 01:25:43 PM
How many of you have built a good blind to have a snake come visit you. One day i was setting in my blind and it had already got to be around 10 clock on one of those sunny warm morning and i was about to doze off and it's like i hear the wind pickup and as i look up at the tree limb above my head i'm thinking those leaves are not blowing and as i turn and look down this snake is next to my leg and what i was hearing was his tail vibrating. You talk about someone coming out of a turkey blind...omg...It's was one of those long black racer snakes that we have in Tenn...

Were you able to salvage the undergarments and wear them again or just throw them away?

Greg Massey

Yup...i was able to save them...lol...but i have never been able to come out of a blind that fast in years but that day i did...omg

tomstopper

Never in the blind and I try to avoid them at all cost. Here is a video that every year sends chills down my side (not in the blind but still related to turkey hunting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpyUVMlTx_U

Clovis67

That is some crazy video... You are one brave man... :newmascot:

tomstopper

Quote from: Clovis67 on February 16, 2016, 06:42:02 PM
That is some crazy video... You are one brave man... :newmascot:
Oh no that is not a video of me (its just one I seen before). If it was me, I would have had a heart attack....lol

Rick Howard

Quote from: born2hunt on February 16, 2016, 01:58:02 PM
A few years ago me and a buddy had got ahead of a few birds that were walking down a fire break.  We slipped in and sat down in a hurry,  checked the birds and they were coming.  Just before they get in site I glanced to my left and see a rattle snake slithering towards me about 10 feet away.  I decided to hold tight and see what he would do. A minute or two passed and the turkeys are now in site but still out of range  and the snake is inching his way closer.  I was sweating bullets and hoping the one gobbler in the group  would hurry up. As they walked into range  my buddy shot I instantly rolled to the right and jumped up , the snake was only 3 feet away !!! Now I'm not necessarily scared of snakes but I don't want a rattler in my lap either.  That's definitely the most stressful hunt I've been on.

That is commencement.  I would have done the opposite.

greentag

Quote from: Dearhunter3450 on February 16, 2016, 05:57:35 PM
Well those stories are what my nightmares are made of! I'm 6'3" and 270 lbs and run like a scared schoolgirl from every snake I see!!
ha me too,i dont care if its a green snake,im out of there,the guy who sat there with the turkeys coming and the rattler 3 feet away,you got more nerve than me,i would have been out of there when i first saw it even if it was a cow snake.

g8rvet

Was prescouting a new to me piece of public land.  There was a chop that had nothing but pine logs and palmettos on it, but it was surrounded by thick heads.  Thought it would be a nice place to sit and listen in the morning.  No gun with me.  I am sitting there listening, hear one a long ways off and am looking at a little WMA map trying to figure out where he is located.  I catch movement to my right and look down and here comes a copperhead.  They are not large snakes in general, but he was the longest and thickest I had ever seen.  Well over 3 feet and fat.  I am looking around for a weapon of some sort and nothing but rotten piney logs and palmetto roots.  He is heading a little away from me at an angle and I decide to leave well enough alone.  When he is just far enough away, I ease up into a crouch and he kind of reacts a little - still facing away though. He slithers another 6 inches and I stand up and step back.  I was major league in "be cool, just be cool" mode.  I am not really scared of snakes, but he had my complete and undivided attention.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

fallhnt

A few years ago in MO I set up my pop-up blind for a little fall hunting and kept hearing a noise in the blind. I moved the stuff I had on the ground to find a snake had gotten trapped in the blind. He was able to get out when I moved my pack and the hunt was back on.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

M Sharpe

Last year, I'm sitting in an oak flat about mid-afternoon, making some soft yelps and clucks. I see a black racer come cruising by about 10' in front of me. He's making a bee line to who knows where. Nothing to be alarmed about. About 15 minutes later, I hear the leaves rustling over to my right. I look and he's about 5' away from me, looking at me. I took a stick and threw at him and he went back towards where he originally came from. I'm thinking that's all over with. About 10 minutes go by and I hear something easing up behind me. I turn and look and this joker is 2' from me!! I've got one of those vest that you can just sit down and lean back against with out the aid of a tree. When I went to come out of that vest, I caught a cramp in both legs!! So, here I am clinging to a tree with cramps in my legs looking back to see where this dadgum snake is. He's gone just as fast as I came out of that vest. I got up and moved my set up. He could have it!!! I don't like 'em!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!