OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling in predator country

Started by jims, February 15, 2016, 09:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I've been hunting Nebraska for a few years.  Gobblers there tend to be super vocal during the entire season.  The only times they don't seem to vocalize is when it is windy (which can be often!).  Recently I've expanded my hunting to the foothills and mountains of Colorado.  There are lots of coyotes, mtn lions, bears, and bobcats.  Last year was my first try at hunting the mountains and was lucky enough to get a nice tom on opening day.  That was actually the first time in Colo I've heard turkeys in the mountains gobble.  I'm not sure if it was because I have hiked the hills at the wrong time of year or if I happened to hit a good day.  I tried turkey calling (without a license) several years ago to see if I could locate any toms.  I didn't hear a peep but actually called in a chocolate black bear to point-blank range that had one thing in mind...turkey dinner! 

With that said, I'm curious if anyone has noticed turkeys aren't near as vocal in mountainous country where there are lots of predators?  I will likely know the answer as I continue scouting this spring.  There are so few turkeys where I scout with so much country to cover that having vocal turkeys will save gobs of time and miles!  They also tend to be super mobile.  I can obviously look for turkey scratch marks and scat but gobbles would certainly help!  In Nebraska, turkeys have often been super vocal while in the trees prior to flying down in the morning...then shutting up...so that may be another option.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Marc

Early in the season last year, birds were very vocal... 

With our drought, it seems the predators (bobcats, coyotes, and foxes) got on the turkeys pretty hard, and the turkeys plum shut up by mid-season.  Hens nor toms were vocal.

I have never called in as many predators as I did last season...  One day I called in coyotes to three separate locations.  Called in bobcats a couple times,  and foxes a couple times as well.  But, I honestly cannot think of one day in the field where I did not call in at least one predator.

Had a tom in range (but out of sight) on the last day of the season, and a yote ran in and spoiled things...  I got cut off and ruined multiple times by yotes last season...  I am not a fan of shooting them (as I am doing it for fun and they are doing it for a living), but this season, I am thinking of taking my brother-in-law out, as he really wants to get one and make a pelt...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

WyoHunter

In my experience most of the time they stop gobbling is if they are with hens. Sometimes when the boss hen hears you yelping she'll drag the gobbler away from you. I've hunted NE for many years and never called in a coyote although I have in KS.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

fallhnt

If turkeys don't gobble,then the turkeys don't mate. Turkeys are social. :z-twocents:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy