turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey camp / camping and hunting

Started by jwhunter, February 11, 2016, 04:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhunter

I would like to see pictures of your Turkey camp. Public land truck camping, tent camping, hunting club camper camping... Let's see them

wvmntnhick

My buddy and I have stayed at the same camp we use for deer camp but I've got no pictures of it at the moment. It's a one room building with a cook stove and pellet stove for heat. Has a stand up fridge/freezer as well as a tv with DVD player. In deer season we kick off the season with a deer hunting dvd and turkey hunting dvd in the spring.

turkey_slayer

I sleep in the truck. A 4 door Tacoma so yeah it's a little uncomfortable  :D. Taking the passenger seat out this year to try and get a little more room. May bring out the tent but I doubt it.

outdoors

YUP I USED TO HAVE A FULL SIZE JIMMY WITH A HARD TOP , JUST PUT A MATTRESS IN THE BACK PLENTY OF ROOM FOR ME AND MY DOG ....... MISS UM BOTH.  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

OldSchool

Here's a couple of my little shack in the Adirondacks. Small and basic, wood stove and propane lights. I was born and spent the first ten years of my life about three miles from where it stands. I did see a hen about 30 yards out back one day 12 years ago, but there isn't a huntable population as far as I'm concerned.  There are too few birds in the neighborhood to call it a turkey camp, but I hunt deer, bear and small game from it and do some fishing too.

It would be a dream come true to hear gobbling from camp someday, but I've got my doubts it'll ever happen. The state has released birds close by in the past, and what the local boys don't immediately shoot from the road don't seem to be able to stand the winters.
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Spring Creek Calls

Have a ton of memories from turkey camps over the last 30 years or so but not many pictures of the camps. Hunted out of tents, tent campers and even out of the family van minus the back seat. Didn't have a cell phone capable of taking pictures until a few years ago. Great memories from SD, MO, KS, IN and OH. I'm old now and stay in motels.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

turkeyfoot

We have a tradition where I'm at in NC to camp opening week of turkey season throw up couple tents plenty of fire wood tarp for rainy days with lot good good food . Wouldn't trade those campfire nights for nothing but you gotta have some thick skin because we do rag each other quite a bit. Turkey camp is flat awesome for many reasons its more relaxing than deer no scent worries no climbing trees mostly hunt mornings mid days so evenings are free for just sitting around cooking and burning wood

LI Outdoorsman

I have followed the natural progression of turkey hunting and its been an awesome ride!
Started out with a guided hunt in Tioga Co. NY many years ago when I was mainly a duck hunter and fell in love with the sport.
Then started hunting on a buddy's property and state land then travelling all over the globe to complete my world slam.
Then leased my own property in upstate NY where we used to stay in a motel...Then we tent camped on the property and turkey hunted ..then we got a camper...a few years ago we finally got a nice cabin deep in the woods not too far from where I started turkey hunting..I had come full circle..Last season we had on many occasions turkeys roosted and gobbling right out the back porch of the cabin!..Chasing turkeys in the morning then bbqing in the afternoon and having a few drinks and a cigar by the fire at night...AHHH turkey camp!

deerhunt1988

A few public land camping pics from last season.

Florida:

Mississippi:

Tennessee:

Missouri:

Indiana:

Ohio:

OldSchool

I've always thought I'd like to hunt Florida some day. There's something about the topography that has always appealed to me. With the turn things have taken for us in the last few years I doubt It'll ever happen, but it sure would be cool.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

guesswho

Nice Diamondback deerhunt1988.  Growing up in Florida you learn to always be on the lookout.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

deerhunt1988

Quote from: guesswho on February 14, 2016, 10:10:03 AM
Nice Diamondback deerhunt1988.  Growing up in Florida you learn to always be on the lookout.

Talk about a surprise! We were just finishing up lunch discussing the morning hunt when he slithered right on into camp. This particular WMA was LOADED with diamondbacks. We saw three during our hunt, another being right by the hunter check station. Have hunted another Florida WMA three times and never saw a rattlesnake there, but my goodness did it raise some trophy cottonmouths!

redmag

I like to hunt birds and go crazy each spring.  But to hunt Florida with all the creepy critters does not appeal to me.  Snakes, gators, and bugs of all description, nah.  I mostly hunt WV and VA and they have more snakes than I need, always snake boots for me.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: redmag on February 14, 2016, 10:34:55 AM
I like to hunt birds and go crazy each spring.  But to hunt Florida with all the creepy critters does not appeal to me.  Snakes, gators, and bugs of all description, nah.  I mostly hunt WV and VA and they have more snakes than I need, always snake boots for me.

I only saw one panther track.  ;)

Big perm2

I hunted in Naples Florida my senior year high school with a buddy of mine drove from mississippi to Naples. We have been there a couple and for lunch one day we fried ham in a skillet over an open fire. We left that afternoon to go wash some clothes came back just before dark and to our surprise 3 large panthers was licking out of or skillet right in front of our tent.. Needless to say we slept in the car that night!! Lol!!

Talkem into given up!!!