turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shell Suggestion for 870 & IC .665 ???

Started by Bayou Gold, February 08, 2016, 02:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bayou Gold

23 in. Barrel btw, and leaning towards 3in. As opposed to 3.5.

Thanks in advance!

TKE921

I shoot an 11-87 with the same choke.  @ 40 it will put 221 ish in a 10" circle and another 228 in the next 10" circle. That is with 3" #7 hevi-13.  With longbeard #6 in 3" it will put 258 in 10" @ 40 yards.  Those longbeards are just too tight inside 40 for my liking.  If 221 in 10" won't kill him at 40 or 50, I think he deserves to live.

FWIW I have a 26" barrel

knightrider

Tomcat655

Nitros are number one a no mag blends are number two

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

dirt road ninja

SpurInsanity99

I shoot an 870 super mag with Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike in the same constriction, 28" barrel and shoot with just the bead no optics or aftermarket sights and have found mine to like the 3" #5 Winchester Long Beard XR's. I have shot it on paper 20/30/40/50/60 yards and am pleased with my overall pattern but it doesnt leave much room for error at 20/30 yards but 40 is optimal. I patterned 50/60 just to see but I preffer my birds to be gobbling in my face when I drop the hammer, anyways I hope these pictures help you with what your looking for.. Best of luck to you

*** note the 10" circles were drawn before the shots and I pulled a bit on 20/30 the POA on my gun is spot on was 100% operator error *** pics listed 50/20/30/40 during upload

Bayou Gold

Thanks for all replies. 

Gun is brand new for the gentleman who asked.  Gonna deep clean barrel this weekend and pattern next hopefully

Bayou Gold

Have shot LB #6 in 1100 in the past

Glad to hear someone opposing Mag Blends.... I was trying to decide btw Hevy #6 and Magblends, leaning straight #6

A lot of people like Hevy #7,  would #6 not be better on a longer shot???

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Bayou Gold on February 10, 2016, 01:57:20 PM

The issue on longer shots is the larger shot will have more energy, but will often run out of pattern density before the smaller shot. HTL 6 or 7 is a good choice, I prefer 7's in HTL, but have had very good luck with 6's as well. My opinion is that 270 7's is better than 200 6's. Either will serve you well.

southern_leo

Quote from: Bayou Gold on February 08, 2016, 02:55:44 PM
23 in. Barrel btw, and leaning towards 3in. As opposed to 3.5.

Thanks in advance!
I'm new to Turkey hunting and have the same exact weapon and choke. I will also be running 3" shot. I was referred to email IC support with these specs and asked what was the recommended shot and this is the entire text the sent back:

-hevishot 5s or 6s  or win longbeard 4s or 5s

Very short email lol but straight to the point. Personally I'm probably going with LB. I don't see the advantage of Hevi shot over LB when you consider price difference. If money wasn't an issue Hevi would be awesome. Obviously I will check the pattern but I don't forsee being disappointed in the LB.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Double B

Winchester  Longbeard XR 5's or 6's would be my suggestion. 
Followed by buzzards

Gobble!

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 10, 2016, 02:12:52 PM
Quote from: Bayou Gold on February 10, 2016, 01:57:20 PM

The issue on longer shots is the larger shot will have more energy, but will often run out of pattern density before the smaller shot. HTL 6 or 7 is a good choice, I prefer 7's in HTL, but have had very good luck with 6's as well. My opinion is that 270 7's is better than 200 6's. Either will serve you well.

this.

Tommythreetoes

Mag blends have worked really well for me.  My 870, IC, doesn't like hevi 6's at all for some reason.  YMMV

mozer67