OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey pics

Started by jims, February 07, 2016, 01:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I'm always trying to improve my turkey field photos.  I usually hunt alone and have found it fairly difficult to take self-timed photos..especially with tail feathers fanned out.  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something that could be used to fan tailfeathers so they are evenly spaced and ready to go when taking pictures?  Almost all photos I see with hunters have both hands behind the tail feathers.  It would be nice to try a few different shots that are done a little different but still show off the tail feathers fanned out.

WisTurk

what kind of camera are you using?  On my DSLR I have a remote that I use for self portraits...perhaps that's an option for your camera as well

SteelerFan

MK M GOBL

You can take great pictures without having the full fan displayed or even being in the picture! Here are a few of my favorites!

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Just need to have a creative eye!

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Took this with and without me in the pic

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

And in the pic!

MK M GOBL

Mike Honcho

I carry a small digital camera with a self timer.  I also have a little gadget called a Clip Shot (Google it)...it screws into the threaded tripod mount hole on bottom of camera and has a clamp on it that you can clamp on to a small branch , barb wire fence, arrow stuck in the ground etc.

Most of the time I hunt by myself and these tools make it easy to take the photos with me in them.

Mike

jims

The photo fan looks like just the thing I've been looking for!  I have a self timer on my camera.  It is a pain in the rear trying to spread the fan and pose.  The photo fan would save a gob of time and frustration.  It would also offer a lot possibilities for photos I haven't been able to take since both arms have always been behind the fan holding it in place.  The sky is the limit for taking photos and I can see this may open up a lot of neat photos and video that I haven't considered before.  Thanks for the tips!

davisd9

I use a small stick that I break to the right length and spread the fan with it.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

fallhnt

Obviously you want to be in the photo. I use a Nikon on a tri-pod that I bought when they used film because it has a remote control. Hard to get film developed now days but I still use it.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dr Juice

Awesome tips. Thx for sharing.

Marc

•   First, look where the sun is, you or the birds should be somewhat facing the sun (i.e. sun behind the camera)
•   Get close enough for enough detail to make things interesting (often I put the camera too far back).
•   Look at the background...  I try to look for an interesting background, and get any unwanted trash, or obscuring branches or grass out of the way
•   .I try to get in the picture myself, or take a picture that holds some interest outside of just a dead bird.
•   I try to take a picture that will capture a particular memory.
•   Make sure that the shadow from the camera or tripod is not in the picture (I have done this all too often).  If taking a picture of someone else, make sure your shadow is not in the picture.
•   Make sure your gun is and appears to be pointed in a safe direction.

I use a small portable tripod with either Velcro or bendable wires that can sit on something flat, or be tied to a tree or limb...  I try to get the horizon as even as possible, but Photo Shop can help here when that is not possible, or when I goof.

Here are some pictures that I took.  All of the pictures of myself were taken with a point and shoot on a timer...  The pictures I am not in, I shot myself with a point and shoot.  Not the best in the world, but I enjoy having them around for the particular memories they provide.  Some are not so good, and some are not so bad...

Not the best picture in the world, but I while running up to this bird (that took a looong time to call in, and came from a looong ways off), I dropped my call on the bird, getting it bloody...  I will remember the bird and the situation because of that bloody call in the picture.  I should have taken more time to pose the bird in a more atheistically pleasing manner and turned the bird on the side without the matted down bloody feathers:

This picture was taken at noon (about the worst light you can have).  I showed off the color of the feathers by laying the bird on a rock to catch the sun light.  Not a bad picture under the circumstances, but it looks like the gun is pointed at me (although it is not)...  An oversight which greatly decreases the quality of the shot.

Afternoon sun here, and I actually like this shot.  I put the camera closer to the birds for a different perspective...  Posed the birds on or near my hunting vest, and put a duck call in the picture for good measure...   I put the dogs in front of me which puts the emphasis on the far more interesting dogs.  I actually had a crappy day duck hunting, and surprisingly ended up with a limit of pheasant after...  This picture will not win any awards, but I find it pleasing...

Children can add value to a picture as well...  This was an afternoon dove hunt with my daughter (I checked and double-checked to make sure the gun was unloaded)...  Cute picture that captures that moment.

This shot was at about 10:30 am...  Not terrible lighting, but not the best...  I should have taken the time to clear out the grass sticking up right in front of the bird...  I remember looking for a spot that had both the yellow and purple flowers...  Captured some of the colors of the bird, but I feel I could have done better.  The picture did a poor job showing off the beard...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mudhen

Just ordered a Blue Tooth remote for my iPhone...also bought an iPhone bracket for most tripods...

Hope the stuff works....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka