OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

red dot vs scope

Started by skimerhorn, February 06, 2016, 08:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skimerhorn

I've narrowed down my choices to a vortex sparc 2 or a Leopold turkey scope. Any suggestions either way? Will be on a 535.

USMC0331

I would look through both of them to see how it looks through your eyes. The sparc 2 you can have both eyes open, once mounted it may bring your cheek up higher on the shotgun which may or may not be a problem for you. Depending how far forward you mount on shotgun it may seem to have " tunnel vision". As far as the scope you did not list power but I'm sure it's a low power. I would not have it on greater than a 3x, if you do and the bird comes in close you will not get a good sight picture due to the magnification. Make sure the scope is a matt finish. The gloss reflects the sun and would give you away to both the turkeys and predators. Hope this helps and you get a nice bird this year!!!!!!

skimerhorn

grayfox

Debated on the same decision a few years ago & went with a red dot. Been very happy with it so far. Never tried the scope but if I did it would probably be a low powered Leupold with good eye relief.

Cleveland48

I have used both, and like both. Currently I have a Nikon monarch 1.5x4.5 and I really like it.

MK M GOBL

I made he choice to have a low power "turkey" scope mounted on my gun 20+ years ago and would do it again. Have used a buddy's gun w/red dot and the only thing I will mention is a scope/crosshair batteries don't go dead...

MK M GOBL

USMC0331

If batteries go dead in a red dot, simply keep Turkey head in center vertice area of red dot and cancel Christmas for the turkey.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 07, 2016, 08:53:42 PM
If batteries go dead in a red dot, simply keep Turkey head in center vertice area of red dot and cancel Christmas for the turkey.

That happened To me once. That bird didn't see Santa slide down the chimney.  :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."