OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Twist on another thread

Started by Bowguy, February 05, 2016, 08:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

It's been asked what will we do differently this year so I'll ask who will you take differently this year?
Hopefully some dads will be taking first time sons or daughters, maybe guys taking their girlfriends or husbands, wives for the first time. All great stuff.
How bout the others? Maybe grab a kid youth day if you have no one? Offer to take a neighbor, elderly person or disabled vet.
If they haven't taken hunter ed offer to help. Goes a long way.
Teach em to run a call, pattern a gun, locate n roost birds. Teach em body position for an approaching gobbler, tell em when to shoot n take the picture for em after you show them how to pose a bird.
So who's it gonna be this year?

tomstopper

Going to be taking my nephew this year again but this will be his last year as a youth so hopefully we can seal the deal (he missed a big one last year) because even though I love him greatly, next year my daughter will be old enough to go out so she will be my new hunting partner for years to come (hopefully she likes it...lol). I do agree though that if you know of any youth who is interested, get them out there. Not only will it be memorable to them but you will get a great joy out of seeing how excited the get when they hear their first gobble and see him strutting towards them.

JLH

I'll be with my girl for her last youth day hunt.....she keeps saying she wants a longbeard, but we always have a pile of Jakes come first and beat the decoys up.

She holds off for a bit, but usually says, "I'm gonna shoot one!"

And I think the smile and excitement would be the same whether it's a jake or a big ol tom.

We always have a great time, and she goes with me a few days during the season as well, just haven't sealed the deal on a longbeard....then again, she's using a xbow with no blind, so makes it a bit more challenging!

Bowguy

OldSchool

Thanks for the pics JLH. They're both great, but the smile in the first one with the birds in the background says it all. ;D Awesome! congrats to you both. :icon_thumright:

I'm taking my oldest grandson, 6, out with me this year. He's been out scouting with me, seen some birds and heard some gobbles, but Mom hasn't let him actually hunt with me. I finally talked her into it and I can barely contain myself. :happy0064:

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Bowguy

Taking out a 6 yr old should be lots of fun!

g8rvet

At 21 years of age, my daughter decided last year she wanted to kill a turkey.  She is a fishing machine and loves to catch reds and trout.  We did not have much luck when she was with me on the birds though - I seemed to get on birds every time she did not tag along.  So my priority this year will be a longbeard for her.  But jakes are on the menu as well.  She teaches at a small country school and the young boys are fascinated that Ms. Katy Jo turkey hunts and catches redfish. 

Love those pics too.  Daughter smiles are priceless. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.