turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cabelas trumpet call

Started by jwright8, February 05, 2016, 06:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwright8

I know I will probably get criticized for this, but anyone think this would be a good one for a beginner trumpet caller?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

davisd9

Not sure but I would save the $50 and add to it when I could and buy one from Savduck, Billy Buice, Matt Mclain, etc

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

guesswho

I wouldn't think so.   I'm far from an expert but my experience with a Trumpet call is you can waste a lot of time trying to learn on a Trumpet that just isn't capable of producing good sound.   Can be very frustrating.   Not saying this one is junk, I have no idea but suspect it's probably not worth the $50.   I'd put the $50 towards a quality trumpet with a solid reputation.   Plus some of these call makers will spend time with you helping with the learning curve.   Pretty sure that's not going to happen at Cabelas.  Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

boatpaddle

Quote from: guesswho on February 05, 2016, 06:28:51 PM
I wouldn't think so.   I'm far from an expert but my experience with a Trumpet call is you can waste a lot of time trying to learn on a Trumpet that just isn't capable of producing good sound.   Can be very frustrating.   Not saying this one is junk, I have no idea but suspect it's probably not worth the $50.   I'd put the $50 towards a quality trumpet with a solid reputation.   Plus some of these call makers will spend time with you helping with the learning curve.   Pretty sure that's not going to happen at Cabelas.  Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

EXACTLY....!! :icon_thumright:

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

crow

their ad description of "produces unique sounds" makes me a little scared

as noted earlier, go with a known maker.

for not much more money for a call you'll have for years, you could get a cane yelper from Mark Sharpe or a trumpet from a number of makers on here

The Woodsman

Ralph Permar makes some nice calls for getting started.....
Denny

Clovis67

I would get in contact with your favored call maker and tell them your just starting out and see what  advice they have for you-Most will offer sound advice on learning to use a trumpet and could have a call that is very affordable.
A hunter grade call without an Ivory mouthpiece might be in your budget.You need to stick with a call maker who is known for a great sounding instrument.If your wanting to use a trumpet to bag gobblers then you will have to learn how to use it and that takes consistent practice.

pappy

Picking up a trumpet from a Retail Store that sounds like it should when played properly is like buying a 1,000 acre plot of land in search of a needle in a hay stack.....it just is gonna be hard to do. Like everyone has already said pick one of these great call makers here or if you know one go to them, but stay away from the retail market...case in point, box calls you can buy ten and one will sound right, or the same for a pot call one out of ten in a retail setting may work...and to tell you the truth the secret to a great call is the person behind the mouthpiece, so when you do get you one, practice practice practice....pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

For only a few more dollars you can get a quality trumpet made by someone who knows how to play a trumpet. I can take a coffee straw and make a "unique " sound but it sure won't be a turkey sound. I would contact MSHARPE and get a Jordan yelper to start with.  They are pure turkey without breaking the bank.

Old Gobbler

the year is 2016 , and yet still retail , catalog , and manufacturers like cabelas still FAIL to provide sound or video files of the game calls , or links to them .... i see where they have video demonstrations of the waterfowl decoys ammunition and the like , but no turkey calls -

I bet some of those cabelas game calls sound good , I also bet some don't .... $50 a pop it's anyone's gamble , ask what their return policy is ?
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 06, 2016, 05:27:04 PM
the year is 2016 , and yet still retail , catalog , and manufacturers like cabelas still FAIL to provide sound or video files of the game calls , or links to them .... i see where they have video demonstrations of the waterfowl decoys ammunition and the like , but no turkey calls -

I bet some of those cabelas game calls sound good , I also bet some don't .... $50 a pop it's anyone's gamble , ask what their return policy is ?

Cabela's does offer support to their turkey products. There are quite a few videos here on the "How to's" on the Spring Thunder pages; not really "sound files" but I can tell you a lot has to do with the person who is running the call, how it's recorded and where...

Here's the link and you can get to others from this page.

http://cabelasspringthunder.com/turkey-hunting-videos/How-to-run-pot-calls

MK M GOBL

mgm1955

Quote from: davisd9 on February 05, 2016, 06:21:08 PM
Not sure but I would save the $50 and add to it when I could and buy one from Savduck, Billy Buice, Matt Mclain, etc

Sent from the Strut Zone
Great advice!!

Spitten and drummen

Before buying a trumpet and jumping in , have you mind set that this is not a overnight call to learn. You will be frustrated many times , but stick with it . One day everything will fall in place and your confidence will soar. In the end that will make you better. I bought one at the end of turkey season last year determined to learn it and kill my first trumpet bird this year. I have practiced 15 to 30 min almost daily since. I feel I am at a point that I can pick it up cold and make really good turkey talk. I am willing to leave all my other calls in my truck and hunt sole with my trumpet. I now have 2 with a half dozen different mouth pieces. With all that being said , I bought them from a well known call maker and he helped me get started. Spend the money on a good quality one in the beginning. You will know for a fact it will do it's part if you do yours. If you get some cheap instrument , then it will be in your head that the problem is with the call and not you. You will become frustrated and your confidence will drop. It may cause you to abandon the learning process and that would be a mistake.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

paboxcall

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 07, 2016, 10:32:25 AM
Before buying a trumpet and jumping in , have you mind set that this is not a overnight call to learn. You will be frustrated many times , but stick with it . One day everything will fall in place and your confidence will soar. In the end that will make you better. I bought one at the end of turkey season last year determined to learn it and kill my first trumpet bird this year. I have practiced 15 to 30 min almost daily since. I feel I am at a point that I can pick it up cold and make really good turkey talk. I am willing to leave all my other calls in my truck and hunt sole with my trumpet. I now have 2 with a half dozen different mouth pieces. With all that being said , I bought them from a well known call maker and he helped me get started. Spend the money on a good quality one in the beginning. You will know for a fact it will do it's part if you do yours. If you get some cheap instrument , then it will be in your head that the problem is with the call and not you. You will become frustrated and your confidence will drop. It may cause you to abandon the learning process and that would be a mistake.

That right there is spot-on advice.  Well said.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: paboxcall on February 07, 2016, 10:53:35 AM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 07, 2016, 10:32:25 AM

That right there is spot-on advice.  Well said.

:icon_thumright:    I agree, very well put S&d