OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Camera to film hunts

Started by southern_leo, February 04, 2016, 08:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

Anyone use the Sony Handycam? Looking for a good camera to start filming hunts. This topic has been exhausted but not as much in the realm of budget cams that I could find. I'm kinda liking the Handycam. Really don't want to be over $200. I know it's very low so I may look at used also. That being said anyone looking to sell any camera rigs? All opinions welcome this is not limited to Handycam

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

eddie234

I bought one reconditioned, it's works well for me. I'm not looking for professional results, I use windows movie maker as my editing software

southern_leo

I'd like to start a youtube channel with some buddies just for fun. If we had good success with a camera I may later upgrade but for now wanting a beginner set up. Would like a zoom in it.

eddie234

southern_leo

Quote from: eddie234 on February 04, 2016, 09:13:39 PM
https://youtu.be/wXNN_EibXZs
This was done with my handycam
Pretty good footage thanks for sharing. Which model do you use? How much video can you fit on 32 and 64mb cards?

eddie234

Model number is DCR-SX45. I'm not sure on the memory. I've never run out with my 32mb card.

Gamblinman

Get a good fluid head tripod. Nothing ruins good video like a cheap tripod.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Honolua

gophert

Here is my set up.  Let me give a few suggestions that will make your life easier.  Get a camera with a remote so you can work the zoom without moving or having your hand on the camera.  Also, I echo the suggestion of a smooth tripod.  Both these things will make your videos look better.  I would also make sure the camera you choose has an external mic input for upgrades later.  Most canon cameras have this option.

http://youtu.be/uYuC-zY5sMs

Sent from my typewriter

southern_leo

Quote from: gophert on February 06, 2016, 08:38:09 AM
Here is my set up.  Let me give a few suggestions that will make your life easier.  Get a camera with a remote so you can work the zoom without moving or having your hand on the camera.  Also, I echo the suggestion of a smooth tripod.  Both these things will make your videos look better.  I would also make sure the camera you choose has an external mic input for upgrades later.  Most canon cameras have this option.

http://youtu.be/uYuC-zY5sMs

Sent from my typewriter
That's a good lookin rig. What camera is that?

gophert

Quote from: southern_leo on February 06, 2016, 09:20:04 AM
That's a good lookin rig. What camera is that?

[/quote]

It's an older Canon HF100.  There's a lot of good Canon camera available for less than $250

Sent from my typewriter

OldSchool

My girlfriend wanted a camcorder for her birthday a couple years ago to film the grandkids. I knew nothing about them, but spent some time at the store checking out a few different models that were in my price range. I ended up buying her the Sony handycam. The zoom blew the others that I looked at away. I'm still impressed with how well it pulls in distant objects and the quality of the "movies". The pictures we've taken with it are great too. It's held up good over the past couple years, and we've had no problems with it. The sound quality is good too, by the way.

I'm sure there are better camcorders out there, but all in all, and especially for what I paid for it, I'm perfectly happy with it.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

MK M GOBL

There is a lot into videoing hunts, I did the let's get this $ one first... which lead then went to $$ this will give me better video... which now has gone to $$$$ and I bought a top end Prosumer Camera that I am using to video for some "outdoor shows" and just setup a buddy with a "starter" professional camera. A few things to look at out there and if you are really looking to video hunts, whether just for yourself and friends there are some other costs behind it. I noted you were looking for a "$200" camera and this may be your price range, no problem with that but you may have not considered... extra batteries, tripod, media cards and there are mics, mounts and more. Just putting it out there and do some research before you plunk down the dollars. (I was able to sell each of my cameras pretty easily when I was making upgrades)
Last thing to note Optical Power not digital as this is just a distortion of quality.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

And here it is setup

MK M GOBL

WisTurk

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 06, 2016, 05:36:28 PM
And here it is setup

MK M GOBL

What tripod and mic do you use?  I need a better tripod and I don't have a mic yet.