turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need Recs for a 3.5" load....

Started by heartofdixie, February 04, 2016, 11:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heartofdixie

Been on the 20ga bandwagon for 7-8yrs now.  But, I'm wanting to get my 12ga tuned up again and let that cannon blast this spring.   Been out of the 12ga game, so I'm not spun-up on what's the best 12ga loads that are out there these days. What are the latest/greatest 3.5" turkey loads that I should be looking at? 

Gun:  Rem 1187 Sportsman Super Mag...she's a beast!
Choke:  I have a .665 IC, and the factory Rem Turkey choke (non-ported)

I've been thinking about trying Hevi-13 straight 6's with the IC choke.  Would I be better off going with straight 7's?  Thoughts?

I've heard the LongBeards mentioned a lot last yr.  My worry is how tight they shoot at 20-30yds (post pics at this range if you got em).  I like a little wiggle room, without giving up too much range.  I'm not a target numbers chaser...just looking for a good even hunting pattern.  Thoughts on the LongBeards?  Shot size needed?

Also, I shoot Fed HevWt 7's in my 20ga.   I already have a non-ported 12ga choke.  Are Fed HWs any good in the 12ga, and what shot size is best for the 3.5" 12ga?

MagBlends never shot good out of my 12ga.  ALWAYS shot low, ran out of elevation adjustment, and still shot low.  So no MagBlaends for me.

Thanks for the help guys!

stinkpickle

I would start on the cheaper end of the scale and try some Win XX 3.5-2.25-6's first.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: heartofdixie on February 04, 2016, 11:21:50 AM
Would I be better off going with straight 7's?  Thoughts?

Of the loads you mentioned. I like the 2.25 oz straight 7's, they kill better than they should. My only concern with them is the EM quality has seemed to drop off from a few years ago.

heartofdixie

Also...
I shoot Fed HevWt 7's in my 20ga.   I already have a non-ported 12ga choke.  Are Fed HWs any good in the 12ga, and what shot size is best for the 3.5" 12ga?

heartofdixie

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 04, 2016, 11:33:53 AM
I would start on the cheaper end of the scale and try some Win XX 3.5-2.25-6's first.

I like using the higher density shot better.  I don't mind paying a little more.  I'm not knocking the Win XX, they've murdered many many turkeys thru the yrs.  Just rolling with the newer technology these days.

dirt road ninja

In the Fed HW's 7's are the only choice IMO. Few a few bucks more you may be interested in the below. I used their 2 7/16 load of 7's with great results.

http://www.nitrocompany.com/ammunition.html

BINK McCARTY

Federal Heavyweight 3.5" 1 7/8oz. #7 shot these HW are not available in the 2 7/16 oz. They will out penetrate ANYTHING commercially loaded...PERIOD.

turkeywhisperer935

I'd try the 3'rd degree federal load, it's a nice shell. I honestly like it better than longbeards for the same reason you are worried about. Hevi- 13 7's will do fine also they have came out with a new stacked load this year called triple beard you may want to try when they get in stores. They are lead and suppose to be price competitive. Longbeards have went up to 25 dollars a box where I live. I ain't paying that price for lead when u can get hevi shot for a little more.

Gobble!

Winchester Long Beard 2.125oz #6s
Hevi13 2.25oz #7s
TSS 2.5oz #9s

Longshanks

Yoder409

Win LB XR in 5 or 6 and never look back.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

01Foreman400

The Federal Heavyweight 3" 20 ga. load is by far the best 20 ga. load you can buy.  The 3.5 " heavyweight load has only around 80 more pellets than the 3" 20 ga. load.  That makes no sense at all to me. 

I'd get a box of Mag-Blends or Hevi-Shot straight 7's.  That IC should put up some good numbers with either.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Old Gobbler

Whatever you get make sure you get plenty of it , especially if it's tungsten based - the good old days of shooting those are drawing to a end - ten years from now people will be chatting about how they wish they had bought up more of it , like how people reminisce oboist "old whites" that EM made a long time ago

I think out of all the offerings out there today in the 12 ga area the federal HW7 is the shell to hoard up
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon