OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cellular Camera

Started by augasman, January 30, 2016, 09:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

augasman

Hey guys just wanted some opinions. I hunt private land and luckily without other hunters most days. I'm considering buying a cellular trail camera to use this season. I average about 40 days out of a 45 day season and can hunt almost all day. My thought was that I could set it up on places I know gobblers like to hang out like field edges and old roads. Then I could receive pics on my phone while I am out there hunting. Anybody ever try this or have the idea? If so, how did it work? Which camera did you use? Tactics? Etc?

Greg Massey

From what little i know about these cams don't you have to sign it up on a monthly plan just like a cell phone?
I put out 5 cam's yesterday and i know from using the regular cam's and taking pictures your not always going to get good pictures all the time..Signal i sure has a lot to do with it also. i'm like you would like to know more about them. i know from seeing the price of them you can pickup a lot of trail cam and cover a lot more ground with the others and you always have to watch out and hope it don't get stolen ...

fountain2

augasman

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 30, 2016, 11:23:10 AM
From what little i know about these cams don't you have to sign it up on a monthly plan just like a cell phone?
I put out 5 cam's yesterday and i know from using the regular cam's and taking pictures your not always going to get good pictures all the time..Signal i sure has a lot to do with it also. i'm like you would like to know more about them. i know from seeing the price of them you can pickup a lot of trail cam and cover a lot more ground with the others and you always have to watch out and hope it don't get stolen ...
I only checked out one brand but it looks like the most you can spend is $30/mo first a data plan from at&t. You basically need to have at&t signal wherever the cam is located. The camera itself run about $400. If they work as advertised and send you pics in real time it might be worth it to me.

augasman

Quote from: fountain2 on January 30, 2016, 06:34:16 PM
O they work..
What brand do you use? How fast do you receive pics after the camera take them?

MK M GOBL

One thing to look at is legality, some states do not allow the use of these during hunting seasons and if you did the same during deer season and wanted to enter a "book" buck (B&C or P&Y) would be denied under fair chase rules... Just some info for you.

MK M GOBL

OldSchool

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 30, 2016, 10:43:12 PM
One thing to look at is legality, some states do not allow the use of these during hunting seasons and if you did the same during deer season and wanted to enter a "book" buck (B&C or P&Y) would be denied under fair chase rules... Just some info for you.

MK M GOBL

I've been following this thread and wondered about that myself. It almost seems like their use would be taking an unfair advantage, but that's just my take on it. :z-twocents: If they're legal, they're legal and I wouldn't knock anybody for using them. They're just not for me personally.

I'm half expecting to see a bunch of drones flying around this May. What's the recommended shot size for drones, by the way?

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

VA_Birdhunter

Just my opinion but I'm not at all for it!    Turkey hunting is way more than killing!  It's the challenge, the game you win some and loose a lot.... and taking steps like this to me makes it all about killing!   If it ever comes to this for me I'll just buy a butter ball!   The time in the spring woods is about the experience, the battle, the gobble, the sounds of spring, and the time with family and friends!   If time is spent pre-scouting and doing ur preseason homework why would u even need to do this.  To me there is not much difference in batting then this.   If it's legal and u want to do it have at it but to me it's taking an unfair advantage.   I want to tag a long beard do to my skill and woodsman ship!   

God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

augasman

Good lord. Spare me the pretentious replies. I was just looking for a little information. Sounds like a bunch of guys that need a built in reason to not kill turkeys. I'll take my questions elsewhere from now on.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: augasman on February 02, 2016, 08:30:56 PM
Good lord. Spare me the pretentious replies. I was just looking for a little information. Sounds like a bunch of guys that need a built in reason to not kill turkeys. I'll take my questions elsewhere from now on.

Put it on a public forum u should expect others opinions!   No one that I seen was rude or personally attacking u with any opinion given!  Now to clarify ur reply...I need no reason to persuade myself not to kill turkeys!  Howeve for the unbelievable respect and love beyond words I have for this passion (turkey hunting) "I" believe I should hunt them fairly under fair chase conditions!  This is my opinion and only mine and if it's legal u can do as u please.   Turkey hunting is way more thank killing....way more!! 

augasman

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on February 02, 2016, 08:48:41 PM
Quote from: augasman on February 02, 2016, 08:30:56 PM

Put it on a public forum u should expect others opinions!   No one that I seen was rude or personally attacking u with any opinion given!  Now to clarify ur reply...I need no reason to persuade myself not to kill turkeys!  Howeve for the unbelievable respect and love beyond words I have for this passion (turkey hunting) "I" believe I should hunt them fairly under fair chase conditions!  This is my opinion and only mine and if it's legal u can do as u please.   Turkey hunting is way more thank killing....way more!!
cue violins

busta biggun

Hey Augusman, I understand that you weren't necessarily asking about the ethics of using a game cam. If you want to see a real firestorm, start a post asking people how they feel about blinds, or decoys!!! Regardless, you only have 5 posts. All of them on this thread. Perhaps you just wanted to join the forum just to find out what's a good game cam, but if you take time to get to know folks, or get to understand the vibe of a forum before you jump to conclusions you would get a whole lot more out of it.....

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: busta biggun on February 03, 2016, 04:27:56 PM
Hey Augusman, I understand that you weren't necessarily asking about the ethics of using a game cam. If you want to see a real firestorm, start a post asking people how they feel about blinds, or decoys!!! Regardless, you only have 5 posts. All of them on this thread. Perhaps you just wanted to join the forum just to find out what's a good game cam, but if you take time to get to know folks, or get to understand the vibe of a forum before you jump to conclusions you would get a whole lot more out of it.....

Actually he did ask for opinions...the first line of his post! When u put something on a public forum u need to be prepaired to receive others opinions especially when asked!! Have alittle thick skin understand everyone doesn't see it ur way and move on with the discussion!  Not everyone believes in political correctness or the need to walk around on egg shells afraid of offending someone if there opinion is different!!  This is a great forum with a lot of great people and information and alot of DIFFERENT opinions and ideas!  Put it on an open public forum be prepaired for some not to see it ur way!

augasman

Thanks for understanding. I've actually been on here a while and enjoy it. This was the first time I ever thought I had a legitimate question to post. All the finger wagging just kind of gets my blood boiling.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: augasman on February 03, 2016, 06:22:25 PM
Thanks for understanding. I've actually been on here a while and enjoy it. This was the first time I ever thought I had a legitimate question to post. All the finger wagging just kind of gets my blood boiling.

Explain the finger wagging please?!  I'm very interested in having that brought to light!