turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Variable magnification vs fixed magnification

Started by Darren96, January 28, 2016, 11:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren96

I'm looking for a scope for a turkey gun, I'm not sure if I want something like a 1.5-5x or fixed 4x. I'm looking for opinions on people who have used either, I'm sure it comes down mostly to personal preference but I'd like input. I feel like the fixed 4x would make close shots harder but would be the less expensive option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

I'm not a scope guy, but would put the variable if I had to chose.

MK M GOBL

I have hunted with a scoped turkey gun for over 20 years and have never adjusted the power, with that said I would look for a low power 1.5 - 2.5 power scope. I like the low power when them birds are close, can easily get on them if "moving" and if at a distance I have my binos.

MK M GOBL

KPcalls

I started out with a Simmons pro diamond fixed 4 power scope years ago. In my opinion you are much better off with a variable power scope. My scopes stay around 3 power which gives me enough magnifacation and a wider field of view. I would also go with a scope that is at least 32mm.

KPcalls

Quote from: Darren96 on January 29, 2016, 09:47:45 PM
Would something like this work? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/170077/konus-pro-shotgun-scope-15-5x-32mm-aimpro-reticle-matte

It should Darren...I don't know anything about that particular brand but the varability and mm is perfect...also check out the Bushnell banner camo varible power shotgun scope with the circle X reticle...just bought one for my girlfriends 20 gauge. I hope it holds up as well as my Nikon and Leupold.

Darren96

Thanks, I'll check that one out too, I know a local store has it.

bbcoach

I have a fixed power Bushnell Red dot on my 835 and here's why.  We are talking about shooting 40 yds max for turkeys, why do you need anything more than 1x power.  With a variable power, you have movement to think about if you have to dial them down if ole three toes comes in silent and you get caught with your pants down.  Target acquisition, at higher power, can be hard if you are hunting wooded or brushy areas.  Just a few things to think about.

KPcalls

Quote from: bbcoach on January 30, 2016, 11:43:12 AM
I have a fixed power Bushnell Red dot on my 835 and here's why.  We are talking about shooting 40 yds max for turkeys, why do you need anything more than 1x power.  With a variable power, you have movement to think about if you have to dial them down if ole three toes comes in silent and you get caught with your pants down.  Target acquisition, at higher power, can be hard if you are hunting wooded or brushy areas.  Just a few things to think about.

bbcoach... 1x equals ZERO power....If there were a fixed power scope that was equal to the setting I prefer on my scopes while hunting which would be around 3x but less than four I would have bought it...The only time I ever adjust the power on my scope is when it's sitting in my Lead sled...then it's dialed at the maximum power......

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: KPcalls on January 29, 2016, 09:07:39 PM
In my opinion you are much better off with a variable power scope. My scopes stay around 3 power which gives me enough magnifacation and a wider field of view. I would also go with a scope that is at least 32mm.
Good info guys, this thread and the other one.  I think next year is the year I switch to a scope.  I really like the concept of the red dot and currently have a FastFire III.  But some days its 3 MOA + 3 MOA + 3 MOA and imaginary numbers.   KP buddy, I'm gonna pick your brain next year on scopes and such.

VAHUNTER

over the years i have jumped back and forth between magnified scopes and red dots.
A red dot scope works best for me. to much magnification can ruin a hunt if a bird is coming in fast.
jmo.
Good things come to those who wait

Darren96

I'm actually looking at a fixed 2.5x32 scope that I found after I posted the link above. Should work much better for me than the 1.5-5x