turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TEXAS RIO HUNT

Started by WW, January 27, 2016, 11:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

For those of you that have hunted Texas, would you consider the end of April too late? I know the hens will be nesting but that can work in the hunter's advantage as well. Have any of you guys been to Texas that late in the season?

Gamblinman

I have hunted the north Texas area many times in the late April - early May timeframe. no problem.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

WW

Quote from: Gamblinman on January 27, 2016, 12:17:20 PM
I have hunted the north Texas area many times in the late April - early May timeframe. no problem.

Gman

Good deal! I'll be in SW Texas. About 90 minutes from Mexico

timberjack86

I hunted central Texas last year the last week of April, had a cold front move thru but still saw lots of birds and heard lots of gobbling. I killed one of my biggest birds too. But all the locals advised me to come early this year so I will be there opening day. Good luck

Planner

You can still get on birds in late April. In fact I was so busy calling birds for friends that I didn't shoot two of my birds until late April last year. I do find the first week of April to be the best where I hunt which is the western part of the hill country, south of Sonora. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAk28

I have hunted west Texas and I'm headed back this year in mid April, if there are birds around you will be fine Texas is a big place.

Planner

How'd your hunt go? I ended up taking a friend this weekend. Saturday afternoon was very quiet but they were gobbling this morning. We called in three jakes at 7:15 and finally a strutter at 8:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

There are so many hens these days that I don't think it's a problem. Seems like gobblers always have multiple hens on the last day of the season. I'd go for it if I were you. :anim_25: