North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Spring to time camo that's not cotton?

Started by Gutsdozer, January 27, 2016, 10:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutsdozer

Hello all,

I am one of those guys that sweats insanely no matter what. I try the stay away from cotton camo for that reason. I seem to be be having trouble finding camo in spring turkey hunting patterns in anything other than cotton at my local stores. I have most of the big name brand stores in my area like Cabela's, etc. if I do find something it's usually just a very light t-shirt type garment. It gets pretty cold on a spring morning around here!

Are there any particular jackets and pants anyone can suggest that are wicking and dry more easily than cotton? All of my deer hunting gear is fairly heavy for spring use. My early deer season stuff is cotton at the moment. I have learned to hate cotton for hunting. Especially for a guy that sweats like me.

Any help and advice is appreciated

MK M GOBL

So are you looking for a single garment or looking to layer? With a proper base layer to wick the moisture away and a more breathable mid or outer later dependent on weather would help. Cabela's branded base layers come in a number of "weights" to cover the need and would look at Cabela's SUPERTEC II.

MK M GOBL

silvestris

I have been wearing Treklite for years.  You can't wear it out and the colors don't fade.  I don't think they make it anymore; too good of a product.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Gutsdozer

Quote from: silvestris on January 27, 2016, 07:30:20 PM
I have been wearing Treklite for years.  You can't wear it out and the colors don't fade.  I don't think they make it anymore; too good of a product.
:TrainWreck1:

Are there the type?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2726137309/russell-outdoors-mens-treklite-pants-polyester

MK M GOBL

Yup that is Treklite, they make it in pants and shirt and is what I use in hot weather. This stuff is super light and is almost a perforated material, hold it up to light and you can see that through it. Is great for hot weather when you need the breathability, but not going to do much of anything to keep you warm.

MK M GOBL

LaLongbeard

Got my order from Mossy oak store today. I bought couple of the tech light long sleeve ts in bottomland . There made from the same material as under armour heat gear they wick sweat pretty good and the material doesn't strech out like cotton after being worn a few times.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

eddie234

When it gets hot I wear my ol Tom tactical and under armour t shirt.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

trkehunr93

I like under armour for when it's hot and humid.  I sweat like you do and I need something to breath and keep me cool.  Under Armour does does the job for me here in VA.  Keep an eye out on ebay, you can find great deals on there, especially preowned items.

Sixes

If it's real warm or humid, like afternoons here in Georgia, I sometimes wear shorts and a loose T shirt under a pull on leafy suit.

Most times, I wear a lightweight button up with Ol Tom bibs.

I love hunting out of overalls, they stay pulled up and I can loosen them and unbutton the sides to get some air flow.

The only bad part of overalls is finding them. I hate that Ol Tom discontinued them a couple of years back, if I had it to do over, I would of bought a lifetime supply. Not even sure if anyone makes regular hunting overalls anymore

buzzardroost

Quote from: Sixes on January 29, 2016, 09:52:43 PM
If it's real warm or humid, like afternoons here in Georgia, I sometimes wear shorts and a loose T shirt under a pull on leafy suit.

I love hunting out of overalls, they stay pulled up and I can loosen them and unbutton the sides to get some air flow.

The only bad part of overalls is finding them. I hate that Ol Tom discontinued them a couple of years back, if I had it to do over, I would of bought a lifetime supply. Not even sure if anyone makes regular hunting overalls anymore
I also have some of the Ol Tom overalls I love, wish I could buy more. Walls makes a good ultra lite bib overall also that is available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gutsdozer

Quote from: buzzardroost on January 29, 2016, 10:25:47 PM

I also have some of the Ol Tom overalls I love, wish I could buy more. Walls makes a good ultra lite bib overall also that is available.

http://www.walls.com/bibs/10x-ultra-lite-bib/X94135.html?dwvar_X94135_color=AX9#sz=12&start=15
Are these the bibs? Are they too light to wear on cooler mornings without layers?

buzzardroost

Quote from: Gutsdozer on January 31, 2016, 08:49:18 AM
Quote from: buzzardroost on January 29, 2016, 10:25:47 PM

http://www.walls.com/bibs/10x-ultra-lite-bib/X94135.html?dwvar_X94135_color=AX9#sz=12&start=15
Are these the bibs? Are they too light to wear on cooler mornings without layers?
that's them. I think you would get chilled on cooler mornings. They are great for warmer weather.

Sixes

[/quote]

Thanks for the link, I just ordered some to try. They are on sale for 30% off and free shipping over $75.

okslayrio

If you have a local Academy sporting goods, look for the Game winner shirts and pants made of the dura cool material. The stuff is amazing. I'm the same as you in sweat even if it's 30 degrees outside. Bought some last year and by far the best turkey hunting clothes I've own. And it's insane how fast the material dries. Hope this helps. Good hunting!  :funnyturkey:  :z-guntootsmiley:  :funnyturkey: