Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Can you make him gobble before sunrise?

Started by Flounder, January 26, 2016, 10:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder

How do you make him gobble 5 minutes early?

Double B

I owl with my voice.  I don't usually do it but when they are not gobbling well I have been known to rip off a sequence.   I get about the same percentage response as my buddies with owl calls.   The only locator I carry is an old wooden PS Olt  crow call. 
Followed by buzzards

MK M GOBL

With my owl, goose/sandhill, peacock or crow... sometimes and some mornings and what they are liking that day.

I sure can MK M GOBL

drenalinld

Owl hoot or coyote howl. Sometimes the first crow of the morning. You said before sunrise. Many times they start gobbling at first light 30 - 40 minutes before sunrise. In some areas they may gobble well before that others later.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: drenalinld on January 27, 2016, 08:53:49 AM
Owl hoot or coyote howl. Sometimes the first crow of the morning. You said before sunrise. Many times they start gobbling at first light 30 - 40 minutes before sunrise. In some areas they may gobble well before that others later.

X2

drenalinld

However, if I know gobblers are in the area I much prefer to let them gobble on their own or in response to a real animal.

Happy

I tend to let them start on their own. I usually am pretty close to them and fine tune my setup from there. Around here the birds will roost in the same general area but I usually can't peg them to an exact tree so I plan on being flexible in the morning.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

Quote from: Flounder on January 26, 2016, 10:28:40 PM
I don't even try.   I'm in it for the long haul.  5-10 minutes ain't going to make a difference to me at all.    I learned a long time ago he's going to be easier to kill on his terms than mine.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BowBendr

silvestris

I usually wait them out.  On the occasions when I attempt to elicit an early gobble I will use a two-note owl, one time or I will crow after I have heard the first live crow.  I don't do a lot of locating in heavily hunted areas as I find it counterproductive.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Flounder

I think I'm going to make some paths now, in an effort to move around these thickest between field's. Just a few yards on either side can make a difference where he flys down.
Also this farm is loaded with coyotes and if you don't killem quick..Hunts over.
But it is fun shootin them "dirty dogs" after an hour.
Thanks a lot.

Jbird22

Gobble!

Quote from: guesswho on January 27, 2016, 02:34:02 PM
Quote from: Flounder on January 26, 2016, 10:28:40 PM
I don't even try.   I'm in it for the long haul.  5-10 minutes ain't going to make a difference to me at all.    I learned a long time ago he's going to be easier to kill on his terms than mine.

yep.

turkeyfoot

I try if they won't set my clock back  5 Min. and try again. But really easterns are funny can usually get one going  early but never seen the need unless I suspect I'm far away and have to book it to close distance.  Rios and Mrriams will gobble real early pitch black dark