turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Striker

Started by Greg Massey, January 26, 2016, 11:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

What is your favorite striker for pot calls or slate ?..What kind of wood do you like the most in a striker do you like a round tip or a flare tip?

wvlimbhanger

The dymondwood gobblstix striker that Neal on this forum makes if I had to pick just one.

Harold Fowler makes a dandy persimmon I like to run on slate as well.

davisd9

Slate: Cedar (thanks to dirt road ninja) and hickory

Glass/Crystal: yellow heart, Purpleheart, bubinga, and monkey wood

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

M Sharpe

The best way to pick a new striker is to carry the call with you!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

bbcoach

Mine would be Dymondwood or a laminated striker.  Either one will play extremely well on slate or glass/crystal.  Hickory would be a close second.

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

dirt road ninja

I use 3 woods more than any and I use them all about the same.
bubinga
Yellow heart
Cedar

To pick one?????? Cedar is hands down the best for softer calling while keeping rasp. Yellow heart is better loud. Bubinga plays on any surface well, it's similar to Monkey wood IMO.

Bowguy

I like hickory on slate, tulipwood and Snakewood on glass., the straighter the tip the better, I don't like em flared or rounded. More like beveled n change tips to suit me

Yoder409

Dymondwood
Purple heart
Mesquite
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

PALongspur

My absolute favorites are the laminated birch and oak that Ted Peters made back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I'm afraid to take them in the woods anymore for fear of losing them. Lately I've been using two piece strikers for the most part. Diamondwood and tulipwood, regardless of surface. For waterproof strikers, the absolute best one I've found is made by Dustin Jones. It runs soaking wet and sounds incredible!

silvestris

Cheap Woodhaven purpleheart.  I have a drawer full of strikers but always come back to that one.  Go figure.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Double B

Always have purple heart, rosewood and hickory two piece strikers on me.   Then a Knight & Hale power tip and one of my own corncob three piece strikers.   Wasn't a huge dymond wood fan before but picked up a Hooks dymond wood gobblestix from a member here and agree w earlier comments.   It will find a place in the vest, as will the Parks tree talker.   The thing is I have a couple more in the mail coming my way so this may change soon!   This is a nice site alright,  but you forgot to tell me about this dangerous addiction.  I confessed this to my wife tonight and she said, and I quote:  "Better than guns."  Thank you Lord,  I love this woman!    :thanks:
Followed by buzzards

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mountman62

my favorite is an old hickory striker that came with either a Butski or Pittman glass call i got prob 20 years ago, still my go to striker, awesome on slate or ceramic for close up work
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!