turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

choke for Stoeger m3500

Started by brandoncoant, January 24, 2016, 08:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandoncoant

Hello, I have a Stoeger m3500 and was wondering what the best choke to buy. I plan on shooting lead only, (whatever I find on the shelf at Walmart; Federal Turkey Thugs). I do not plan on shooting at extreme ranges like 60 yards and I certainly am not going to fork out the money for hevi shot. Ive heard that the hevi 13 choke was good as well as the jellyhead. Any help would be appreciated.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: brandoncoant on January 24, 2016, 08:03:33 PM
Hello, I have a Stoeger m3500 and was wondering what the best choke to buy. I plan on shooting lead only, (whatever I find on the shelf at Walmart; Federal Turkey Thugs). I do not plan on shooting at extreme ranges like 60 yards and I certainly am not going to fork out the money for hevi shot. Ive heard that the hevi 13 choke was good as well as the jellyhead. Any help would be appreciated.
Congratulations. The 3500 is a very good shotgun and with the right combination of choke and shell, you should be able to do anything that is necessary to cleanly kill a turkey at all reasonable ranges.
Many of my readers have excellent results with the Hevi-13 choke and the SSX in that gun. There are many choices of course but those 2 are excellent choices.
You may also want to look for the new "Triple Beard" lead shells from Hevi-Shot. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=809 It looks like they will be reasonably priced and hopefully widely available before the turkey season comes around in most places.
Lastly, I'd encourage you to "deep clean" your bore http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282 It really helps you to learn a lot about your gun and can also really help with patterns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

357MAGNOLE

I have the M3000 with the pistol grip.  I tried a few different chokes with Longbeard XR 3" #6's and got my best results with an Indian Creek .665

I am averaging about 220 in the 10" from a laser measured 40 yards in 65-80 degree weather.

I had the Sumtoy .650 choke and the patterns moved around. Others had good results with it, just putting my info in here so others know I had a problem with that.  According to Sumtoy the Longbeard XR's moved around out of most anything. Not the Indian Creek choke though.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson