OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Franchi affinity 12ga with indian creek choke

Started by Jwall, January 17, 2016, 11:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwall

I bought a affinity 12 ga and got the IC choke tube shooting 3in magnum blend and #6's but wasnt impressed with either. Any better suggestions of shells or choke with this gun?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Jwall on January 17, 2016, 11:54:42 PM
I bought a affinity 12 ga and got the IC choke tube shooting 3in magnum blend and #6's but wasnt impressed with either. Any better suggestions of shells or choke with this gun?

Prior to investing in another choke tube, I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bore. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282 That might save you some money. It takes just a little time, very little in the way of materials but can make more difference than you might imagine.

If that does not help after a fair trial, then you may want to consider a .650 JEB's choke for your gun. Many of my readers have had excellent patterns with those chokes in the Affinity shotguns.

I would however really encourage you to try the deep cleaning and then shoot several shells without cleaning in any way between the shots. In that manner you will learn if your gun likes to be squeaky clean, slightly fouled or dirty. It's really the only way to find out.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Jwall

Thanks allaboutshooting, I spoke with IC and they told me to try winchester lb #5. I figure the gun was clean bc i bought it new and took it straight out the box and tried it with the magnum blends. They did ok but I guess I was hoping it would pattern better than my 870 with the truglo gobble stopper choke

owlhoot

It has been said many times on here that a gun from the factory is far from clean .
Oils for shipping and storage  etc.
So the deep clean may be worth a shot :)
I know it has helped with the used dirty guns i buy  :lol:

Gobble!

Are you shooting at a large target to see your entire pattern? You POI and POA may be off. A Indian Creek with Mag Blend or Straight 6s should do well. The 3" 2oz #7 Hevi13 shells would be my pick but the Winchester Long Beards are fantastic loads. Deep cleaning that barrel will also help a little.

Jwall

Yeah I've shot both magnum blend and hevi 13 #6 and just wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. I killed a couple birds last year with them. I guess I'll deep clean the gun shoot the rest of my mag blend and #6 then try out hevi 13 #7s.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Jwall on January 18, 2016, 11:36:08 PM
Yeah I've shot both magnum blend and hevi 13 #6 and just wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. I killed a couple birds last year with them. I guess I'll deep clean the gun shoot the rest of my mag blend and #6 then try out hevi 13 #7s.

What is the exit diameter of the Indian Creek choke you're shooting?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Jwall

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 19, 2016, 03:07:04 PM
Quote from: Jwall on January 18, 2016, 11:36:08 PM

What is the exit diameter of the Indian Creek choke you're shooting?

Thanks,
Clark

Clark its a .665 beretta/benelli mobile threaded choke

owlhoot

Did you shoot at 40 yards ?  Did you get a pellet count in a 10" circle ?
If so what was the count ?

Jwall

Quote from: owlhoot on January 19, 2016, 07:02:42 PM
Did you shoot at 40 yards ?  Did you get a pellet count in a 10" circle ?
If so what was the count ?

Yeah but it was last March when I did and I dont remember the count at 40 but remember I wasnt really impressed. Do you think #'s would be too small to shoot out that restriction?