OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

federal 20 gauge 3rd degree

Started by owlhoot, January 17, 2016, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Appears federal has a new 3" 20 gauge turkey load .
1 7/16 oz. 1100 fps.
5's in copper plated lead , 6's in flight stopper and 7's in heavy weight.
40 percent of the load is 7's in the HEAVY weight.
Flight stopper wad.

Bowguy

I never believed in the marketimg of that load. My buddy patterned it today n I am impressed. Was the 12 ga though

Dtrkyman

Imho they should have left out the #5 lead in a 20 load!

Devastator

I'll stay with the straight HW 7's myself!!!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

PALongspur

Quote from: Devastator on January 17, 2016, 07:42:21 PM
I'll stay with the straight HW 7's myself!!!

I love the straight 7s also but I also loved the difference in the size of my 10 and 20 yard patterns with 3rd Degree last year.

I'll definitely be trying the 20 gauge version as soon as I can find some.

jordanz7935

I might grab a box when they become available just to see how they do in my 20 GA's. Should be interesting to see how they do in chokes designed for the HW #7s.  Here's an article I saw last week,   http://www.shootingtimes.com/first-look/first-look-federals-20-gauge-3rd-degree-turkey-load/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=first-look-federals-20-gauge-3rd-degree-turkey-load.  It doesn't look too promising though,76 in the 10" @40yds. I can do that with lead. :popcorn:

Eric Gregg

Are they less expensive than straight 7's in heavyweight

Tom Foolery

tree-rat sniper

I am interested in these and may pick up a box or two for testing.  According to the shooting times article I'll have to dig out my non-ported Undertaker choke (wish they had a pic or two of the actual patterns).  The article didn't bother to state what gun/choke combo was used by the Fed engineers for testing.  The pics look like a mossy SA-20, I wonder if that was the test rig?  Looks like msrp is going to be $21.99 a box for these which equals $4.40 a shot.  Lead performance at HW pricing?
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Fieldturkey

They look like a waste of time to me