OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Louisiana Turkey hunt

Started by Gamblinman, January 15, 2016, 11:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KPcalls

I know turkey hunters from Livingston and St. Helena parishes that I would put up against the best hunters from anywhere else.
[/quote]

I know most of them personally...... ;D   Where you from hooksfan...?

silvestris

100% on Livingston Parish.  When I started, they would kill everything at home on the Comite and the Amite, and then move up to Wilkinson County and kill everything on the Buffalo.  Wingbone men.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Buckmaster1546

I agree (HooksFan ) I hunt in livingston parish and have my hole life and just started traveling to Missouri 2 years ago to hunt public land. The hunters are the same no matter what state you hunt in. I have a couple buddies (old enough to be my dad) that I would put up against the best turkey hunters in the world! Last year in Missouri some "local" hunters literally parked right behind my truck before daylight on a dead end logging road with an old ATV trail that goes down beside a private field (no room for to hunting parties) and they walked right past my truck. I opened my door and whispered to them and asked where they were going and like it was no big deal THE FATHER replied " to the end of this ridge where I rooted 2 birds last night. Are you going in this spot this morning? " lol he's lucky he had his son with him or I would have been hunting right along side him and I would have made the loudest "tree yelps" you've ever heard from my old box call! Lol I'd have him looking at me like I was crazy, probably about like the face I gave him when he asked me if I was hunting there this morning.
But I did not want to corrupt his sons outlook on turkey hunters anymore than his father already has. Yep I took the high road and asked him nicely to please move his truck so I could make a mad dash to another spot I knew some birds were.
Sorry for the long story but I had to tell it.....
But point being,  hunters are the same everywhere you go. It just may not seem as bad in other states because of the sheer number of birds and more opportunity.
I love hunting our local birds at the camp here at home in livingston parish but by the time our season is over, I am definitely headed north and ready for some Ozark Mountain Gobblin!  :turkey2:

Hooksfan

Quote from: KPcalls on January 16, 2016, 08:38:23 PM
I know turkey hunters from Livingston and St. Helena parishes that I would put up against the best hunters from anywhere else.

[/quote]

I have lived in Southwest Missouri the past 18 years, but I was raised in Livingston Parish just south of the St. Helena line. The family place is on the Tickfaw River south of Montpelier.  I am sure we know some of the same folks. Good people.

smalls

Oh please don't misunderstand.  I hunt with some really great guys, fantastic hunters.  And I see some real boneheads too.  But I definitely don't think that is a Louisiana thing only.  I know we have some really fantastic turkey hunters down here.  I have the pleasure of knowing several and consider them my mentors.  Honestly, I don't know many turkey hunters in SELA.  I'm a west Louisiana guy, so all my buddies are over there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

KPcalls

Quote from: Hooksfan on January 16, 2016, 10:06:24 PM

I have lived in Southwest Missouri the past 18 years, but I was raised in Livingston Parish just south of the St. Helena line. The family place is on the Tickfaw River south of Montpelier.  I am sure we know some of the same folks. Good people.
[/quote]

I'm sure we do....I know the area well and belong to a club on the west side of Hwy, 441  I grew up out east of Amite.

Hooksfan

Quote from: KPcalls on January 16, 2016, 10:29:56 PM

I'm sure we do....I know the area well and belong to a club on the west side of Hwy, 441  I grew up out east of Amite.
[/quote]

I would assume that would be Bear Creek Club?
Our place is east of 441 on the west bank of the River.

KPcalls

Quote from: Hooksfan on January 16, 2016, 10:34:01 PM
Quote from: KPcalls on January 16, 2016, 10:29:56 PM

I would assume that would be Bear Creek Club?
Our place is east of 441 on the west bank of the River.
[/quote]

Yep... ;D

Buckmaster1546

I'm just west of you in BAR KS and I live just south of Magnolia Baptist Church.  :fire:

KPcalls

Quote from: Buckmaster1546 on January 17, 2016, 03:42:46 AM
I'm just west of you in BAR KS and I live just south of Magnolia Baptist Church.  :fire:

Well...another neighbor... ;D

Hooksfan

Quote from: Buckmaster1546 on January 17, 2016, 03:42:46 AM
I know right where you are located.

jblackburn

Quote from: smalls on January 16, 2016, 06:51:32 AM

Quote from: silvestris on January 15, 2016, 08:41:34 PMYou will have to work for your bird in Louisiana as well as be prepared for the ignorant turkey hunter.  Overall, Louisiana does not have the most knowledgable turkey hunters.  My fellow Louisianians make me want to pull out what little hair I have out sometimes.  They don't mean to be rude, they just don't know any better.

Hate to agree with this, but I'll be damned if it ain't true.  And some of the worst location calling you'll ever hear.  They will stop right at your truck, blow on an owl call, jump back in the truck and drive off.

I'm not the GOAT turkey hunter, but I at least know the proper etiquette for hunting public land.....DON'T MESS UP SOMEONE ELSE'S HUNT!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I moved here two years ago and was lucky enough to take a beautiful gobbler on public land in SE Louisiana, but not before someone shot my decoy a couple days before.  Be careful out there, guys
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

LaLongbeard

Unfortunately what the others have said is true. Be offended or not LA has the most stupid Turkey hunters anywere. If your not one of the stupid this should not offen you.
The problem I think is there's not much of a Turkey Hunting tradition in LA there's not been enough generations of Turkey hunters. My granpa never seen or heard of a Turkey until he was way to old to hunt. I regularly kill them walking distance from the house he grew up in. Most (not all) are using deer hunting tactics with a box call added in. They think nothing of trying to hunt 100 yds. or closer to another guy. I have seen some sights on public land its funny but also a little sad.
If your in LA and you think I'm wrong go to Miss. or Alabama these guys are killers its like a religion to them. They've been at it for generations. You'll see the occasional moron but its usually some young guy that's watched too many Turkey dvds.But the average hunter knows what he's doing and has at least some since of etiquette.I hunt only public land in LA so it can be done but be extra careful and be prepared for some agrevation
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

dirt road ninja

Phillipshunt, funny you should say that most of the bad experiences I've had in MS involved guys from my home state of LA. They are the same guys that see you smoking the trout and anchor right on top your corks in the summer then refuse to look at you.

mountman62

yep, Louisiana hunters are just like hunters everywhere else, there are good ones & bad ones, law abiding & outlaws, some that know what etiquette means & them that don't give a d@@N about whether you were there first or not, i would put some of them up against turkey hunters anywhere, i consider myself a mediocre turkey hunter, but some of the guys i know, both north & south LA are turkey killers, i DON'T want them on my property or close to it, but getting back to the thread, Louisiana has lots of birds in some places, and i will say that some of the public land is great hunting but TOUGH, just have to do your homework just like uss LA boys when we go out of state
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]