turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

nebraska?

Started by Crobinson, January 15, 2016, 08:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crobinson

GA boy heading west for the first time this May. Our rooms are booked so no backing out now :jackson: needled to say I'm pumped.

We're planning on hunting public land and not sure what to expect other than possible crazy weather. Since we're driving, hunting Kansas public land might be an option coming back home.

Any tips, tricks or pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

dirt road ninja

If you kill birds in Georgia, you should have no problems in KS. Never hunted Nebraska, but cant image much of a difference. The only thing I do different is carry my bigger binoculars and call more (cause I can).

1tiogabowhunter

Turkey paradise - lots of birds and not over hunted - YET

WisTurk

I'm looking to head there either this year or next year myself.  I've got a buddy that lives near Kearney and he said there's tons of birds around and almost TOO easy (I'll believe that when I see it  ;D)

slwayne

Headed to Lincoln County 4/22 - 4/25.  Can't wait.  First out-of-state turkey hunt for this Michigan boy.

guesswho

Quote from: WisTurk on January 18, 2016, 11:29:22 AM
he said there's tons of birds around and almost TOO easy (I'll believe that when I see it  ;D)
I've been twice to Nebraska and hunted public land.  I agree with his observation.   I enjoyed seeing the country and different critters than I'm used to seeing.  But as far as turkey hunting goes I didn't care for it.   On a difficulty scale of 0-10, 0 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest, I'd have to rate my four kills as a 0.   Hopefully you get a some birds that will at least walk in instead of run.  The hardest part was carrying them out in the thin air.  This low elevation flatlander was sucking air.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

thommy

Not yet been to Nebraska but this year me and my colleagues have booked our trip over there for a hunt. We are so excited for the coming event and hopefully we could possibly achieve of what we want to.

Crobinson

Thanks for the replies.  It's now like waiting on Christmas to get here.

We'll be hunting public land in NW, Nebraska, I'm still looking at WIHA in Kansas that we could possibly hunt on our way.

thanks, again 

762hunter

I'm planning on going 4/20-4/24 to Kansas or Nebraska.  Still uncertain and have not talked any friends into going along. I still plan to do something even if I gotta go by myself.

It will be my first trip away as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jims

I've hunted Nebraska the last 4 years on private land.  Although I had success it wasn't near as easy as several of the posts above.  I had to really work at it!

cornfedkiller

Been hunting east central Nebraska for the past 4-5 years and I absolutely love it there.  There aren't as many birds where we hunt than there is further west, so we don't always have great success, but we usually see a good number of birds, the country is awesome, and the people are great.

MK M GOBL

I have been to Nebraska and have had success there on public land, lots of it where we hunted. Took us a day of scouting to find birds and filled our tags in 2 days. Got 1 bird with stunning white tail tips, the others had a little more buff color but still pretty white. Quite a change from our easterns  here in WI. I would have to agree once we got on birds they were "easier" than birds back home and liked to gobble a lot, may be that we hit the timing right but has been that way for us out there.

Good luck on the hunt!

MK M GOBL

Dr Juice

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 15, 2016, 01:43:43 PM
If you kill birds in Georgia, you should have no problems in KS. Never hunted Nebraska, but cant image much of a difference. The only thing I do different is carry my bigger binoculars and call more (cause I can).
X2. Binoculars are required for a mid-west hunt. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

They can certainly be easy, but like anything poor weather can put them in a mood in a hurry, normally you can overcome just due to the  mass amounts of birds there.

When it is right, make sure you have a place to sit picked out because when you call he is coming now!!!

fallhnt

As far a KS goes. Get on the KS  web site and look at the 2016 WIHA spring atlas. Look for ground that is on your way home. The small areas are overlooked and can be good. You need a hunting license in KS...fyi Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy