OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finally got a shot a Gobbler with my bow

Started by kevin2, January 14, 2016, 04:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

AND missed, 16-17 yards with my bow. About killed me. I bought my fall hunting license on purpose because I had seen some turkeys in this area a couple times. I set up in the area I thought they'd be, and I passed on about a 30 yard shot the day before. Set up right inside where I thought they'd be exiting the woods from & they showed up like clock work. I clipped the rear, cut a couple tail feathers on a broadside shot. he was dead stopped, so I'm not sure if he moved as I was shooting or not.The bird flew off & rejoined the flock on the other side of the cut corn. He was fine, no blood. But, I got some action finally close enough with my bow. I hunted that spot a couple more times, but never saw another Turkey. So, I went back to hunting deer! GOT one of those!

There was another fellow also Turkey hunting the same farm field on a couple of the days. He was using calls, and he called in several birds.

Anyways, I meant to post this up a few months ago, but it kept slipping my mind. Jacked up for another season. Oh, the reason I thought to post this was because I was sitting here looking at photos of some fellow turkey kills on another board, and I was trying to figure out if I was going to continue on with attempting to take my first Gobbler with my bow OR if I was going to get smart and bring my shotgun this spring? Haven't decided.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

mgm1955

I've killed several with my bow and it's awesome. As the seasons progress, now I only go with my shotgun. Like to see them do a backflip and not worry about losing one that dies in the woods. Just personal preference at this point in time. Stick with it and you'll get one. Good luck!!

kevin2

I could have killed a few now with a shot gun, 2 this season for sure. I am leaning towards the shotgun, if not other reason then to get of the snide!

Been 3 seasons with the bow.

catman529

Use the shotgun if you haven't even killed one yet. Shotgun is lots of fun. But you have definitely done something right if you were within 20 yards of a gobbler and drew back and shot. I have shot a couple during the fall with a bow and they got away. I also called one up 2 springs ago with the bow and shot the rock I was hiding behind. It's tough and frustrating for sure. One day I will kill one with a bow, but for the most part I'd much rather carry the shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldSchool

I'm glad to hear that you had some action. I'll take a clean miss to a wounded bird any day.

I've killed some birds with my bow and I've also lost a few that I thought were hit well. Just my poor shooting I'm sure, but it turned me off from bowhunting them.

Congrats on your deer, and good luck with the turkeys.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

kevin2

I've been thinking hard on it, and I'm giving up on hunting them with the bow, at least for now. Going to go after them exclusively this season with a shotgun. Now I have to find a new gun!

tomstopper

Quote from: catman529 on January 15, 2016, 11:19:52 AM
Use the shotgun if you haven't even killed one yet. Shotgun is lots of fun. But you have definitely done something right if you were within 20 yards of a gobbler and drew back and shot. I have shot a couple during the fall with a bow and they got away. I also called one up 2 springs ago with the bow and shot the rock I was hiding behind. It's tough and frustrating for sure. One day I will kill one with a bow, but for the most part I'd much rather carry the shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this. I have shot at turkeys with a bow and hit a couple but lost them. Personally I just feel like I am not doing my part to put them down quickly and feel awful about wounding them so I prefer to use my shotgun (I AM NOT SAYING ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THOSE THAT DO USE A BOW (just stating my personal preference & why, but to each his own)). Now matter which way you decide, Good Luck this spring.

dirt road ninja

Ya win some and you lose some. I remember misses more vividly than hits most of the time.

MK M GOBL

I have "guided" a lot of hunters both gun and bow and range is the name in my game. I put birds in the 15-17 yard range for the shotgun and 10-12 yards with the bow, our success is a result of that. A lot depends on how and where you set-up, with the bow we are mostly in a blind and the DSD's are set at 9 yards, shotgun set at 15. Hunt close, kill close.

MK M GOBL