OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi Shot Mag Blends 2015 season, bad results.

Started by Buckmaster1546, January 14, 2016, 09:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckmaster1546

2016 season is approaching quickly and I am getting ready. I am waiting on my supplies from Brownell to polish my barrels. I have two turkey guns. Mossberg 535 turkey thug 20" barrel jelly head .660and Remington 870 26" barrel jelly head .670. I've shot hevi shot mag blend.  3-1/2" for a few years and absolutely loved them!! But last season  (2015) I purchased 4 boxes (broke the bank) lol but shot a few and was disgusted with the results.  My buddies who turned me on to mag blends in 2013 also had the same results. We normally shoot the winchester long beards for back up but after the crap patterns with mag blends we shot the long beards and sold the mag blends. I plan on sticking with the long beards if we get the same results again out of the mag blends. Just won't be jumpin the gun and purchasing 4 boxes of mag blends again. Lol
Has anyone on ol gobbler had the same results and does anyone no what hevi shot do different in 2015 and if so have they acknowledged the problem and are fixing it?

"No place like the spring turkey woods of home" :fud:

Buckmaster1546

Correction........
I shoot a jelly head .665 NOT .670....
:z-guntootsmiley:

dirt road ninja

I've had similar experiences with their line of Hevi -13 ammo, so have many others. This is the main reason I started shooting Nitro's, got tired of watching lot numbers. I wish they would quit messing with good things.

Gobble!

Their inconsistency is the reason I switched to Nitros and now TSS. I like numbers and in 2012ish with the straight 7s I could put over 300 in a 10" circle. In 2014 that dumped into 250s and I moved on.

Buckmaster1546

I've been wanting to give Nitro a shot and it really does make sense.
The only negative I've heard is cost. But I'm not in it to save money.
I just need to bite the bullet and place an order.
Thanks for the  :z-twocents: guys.

gtrjames

I gave a buddy of mine a box of Nitro 3.5 shells 4x5x7 as a gift for some plumbing work he did for me.
He's fired 4 shells out of his 835. We hunt a lot together in open fields and I've witnessed 3 of the shots.
1) dead gobbler 46 yards
2) dead gobbler 52 yards
3) dead gobbler 53 yards
4) very dead coyote 25 yards.

Buckmaster1546

Clif Owen

I think it's Tungsten Super Shot or something like that.

Buckmaster1546

tha bugman

I always like the hevi 13 I remember when it came out people we bashing it pretty hard making me apprehensive to start using it.  However once I started I found it patterned well and killed turkeys.  However I remember the excitement over mag blends and I never can get them to pattern in any gun I have so I just shoot straight #7's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Quote from: Clif Owen on January 14, 2016, 11:02:48 PM
I think it's Tungsten Super Shot or something like that.

Yes, its shot that can only be hand loaded. Super dense at 18g/cc compared to HeviSHot being 12g/cc. Allows you to use smaller shot sizes, i use #9s, and still have the power of #4 and #5 lead. Their are no manufacturers selling TSS shells.

Buckmaster1546

WOW! TSS is awesome!  #9s equivalent to #4 lead!
Guess I need to start reloading.
The shot density with #9s has got to be out of this world!
The magnum blend patterns were great for the 3 years I shot them, but then they went to junk.
I may try hevi 13 #7s . I saw a box the other day and almost bought it to..... :fud:

worth612000

I guess I need to go home and group my lot numbers and see how many I have that match. I bought up a life time supply in 2 years.

owlhoot

Which load ?  They had 5,6,7.  Thought they made new 4,5,7 loads new in 2015?

pdaugherty

Did you change anything with your shotgun setup this past season or was it the same as it was when you were shooting the Mag-Blends the past few years? Most people on here will attest to keeping your setup the same once you find something that patterns well. I don't know about your shotgun but patterns vary greatly with different weight loads and chokes.