OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New here

Started by wmn2, January 13, 2016, 09:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

I just wanted to stop in and say hi and introduce myself. I'm brand new to turkey hunting. Tried it about 10 years ago, but due to lack of birds where I lived in Ohio, I never really got into it. I moved to upstate SC summer of 2014 and am jumping into turkey season with both feet this spring. I've got a lot of questions, but will put them into the specific forums so as not to clog up this area. I hunt 100% public land right now. I'm a huge deer hunter (bow only) and can't wait to see what the turkey fever is all about.

Again, just wanted to say hi.

Smooth_Operator

Welcome, what part of the upstate? I'm in the Clemson area, if you have any questions feel free to ask...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

paboxcall

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

wmn2

I live around Williamston. Travel to Clemson a good bit. I have a boat on Hartwell and I hunt out at Fant's Grove. Have been contemplating going into Fant's from the lake side for some time now.

Smooth_Operator

Sweet, I don't hunt Fant's as much as I used to, have a couple leases that I hunt normally.  I will venture out there for a quick hunt if I don't have time to drive to them though.  Used to do a good bit of hunting by way of boat for turkey and deer in Fant's. When it gets closer to the season opener give me a shout and I'll point you in the direction of a few places I've had good success in the past...

wmn2

I greatly appreciate it. I had a 10 point on camera out there this year that was around 130" that i just couldn't close the deal on. Had another baby Nov 19th, so that was the end of my deer season. Hoping he made it and is even bigger next year. I have a lot of turkeys on cam too, but no gobblers, all hens.

Smooth_Operator

I had a deer very similar to that description come within 30 yards of me in Fant's back in November, was hunting a thicket and couldn't get a shot on him. And btw, Nov. 19th is my birthday. A good day I'd say  :jackson:

kansas hooks

kyturkeyhunter4

Bowguy

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Tail Feathers

:welcomeOG:

Welcome to our addiction!  Come often and talk turkey with us. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper