turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lov'n Avian-X hens

Started by 2eagles, January 12, 2016, 06:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I know there is a lot of discussion about the best decoys and on this forum and while I am definitely in the minority, I really like my Avian-X hens. I use a breeder if I only want one decoy and have a feeder for times I feel two decoys might help.
I think a lot of guys formed an opinion on the original Avians and don't realize the newer ones are much smaller and easier to blow up. I put a couple of puffs in my hens and don't worry about them again all season. Last fall season, hunting in deep snow and cold, I had no problem blowing in a little air to puff them up.
What I like the most is the feather detail. Setting them up a few yards from me, I can see detail, not just a flat body painted to resemble a turkey.
I'm sure I won't change many minds, but that's ok!
Good luck to all this season.

Gobble!

Yep they are not bad. Side by side at 2 or 40 yards I will take the DSD.

MK M GOBL

Not to try and change your mind and doubt that I would, I am also a diehard DSD man. So here goes,  I work in the "industry" and hear this time and time again... What I wonder about Avian X's (LCD) are made as a collapsible decoy and touted as such but all I hear from owners is that I blow them up at the beginning of the season and keep them that way and seems that most at no time deflate them... Seems to not be a big feature of these decoys and in a sense can be a handicap. You may not hunt with multiple decoys but there are times when I am running and gunning and I am setting up quick and don't have the time to inflate decoys... and that is in part of why these are kept inflated for the Avian's, the other part of this is having to patch a decoy that may have been struck by pellets and will not hold air any longer, which I have a friends decoy who has now earned her name "Maraca". And he has tried to patch her up but took a few too many pellets during a youth hunt. I will also say the "new" Avian's are a much better size and in the same respect DSD's w/ACE technology are much better than the originals were. All companies continually improve their products to meet customer needs and as technology improves.

MK M GOBL

laker

I know both brands have a large group of users... For me the answer was simple, Avian X. I'm no professional hunter and I just simply do not see the need to spend that much more for the DSD's. From Cabela's you can buy the Jake/Breeder hen pack for 159.99, that is the same price the jake decoy ALONE costs in the DSD brand. I prefer to run a jake, breeder, and lookout in most of my setups. This flock cost me about $230 in the Avian X brand. The same group from DSD would be around $400. I just cant see the $170 difference. To each their own.

Tail Feathers

If they are so close you don't have time to set up a decoy, then you probably won't need a decoy to get that bird. :)
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

dirt road ninja

I've owned both brands plus several cheap ones. We seem to be the only animal that cares. Turkeys appear to hate the jakes equally as much, regardless of how much I spent on the dekes. Deer stare them down and ignore them all the same. That said, when I use dekes I carry my more expensive ones, cause it make me feel better about my purchase. I've had birds shy away from both and birds charge both. IMO either the turkey you are hunting is decoyable or he isn't. That might change hour to hour, spot to spot.

Gobble!

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 13, 2016, 11:06:34 AM
I've owned both brands plus several cheap ones. We seem to be the only animal that cares. Turkeys appear to hate the jakes equal has much, regardless of how much I spent on the dekes. Deer stare them down and ignore them all the same.

Bingo. It all boils down to how much you want to spend. I'm willing to bet if a turkey was going to be decoy shy towards a WalMart Jake he would be shy of a DSD Jake as well.

Happy

I have the avian x as well. Don't use them much but they are great for hunting with kids. When I am by myself I typically carry an old walmart foam decoy just because I walk in pretty far and don't want to be weighed down. That old foam decoy with most of the paint knocked off of the head works just as good as any of them. I am convinced we are more picky than the turkeys are. With the right setup no decoy is required. The turkey should be dead when he gets to the point he should be able to see the source of the calling.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

otinhunter

I received my avian x breeder and feeder hen yesterday. I like them so far didnt seam hard to blow up and very realistic IMO. The only worry I have is one of my kids shooting one of the avian x dekes. And I guess if or when that happens I will spend more $$ and purchase dsds.

jepcho

I own both a hen and jake AvianX decoys and I too love them.  They are very realistic and I feel very good quality.  My hen has been shot, I can even shake the decoy and hear there is still a fair amount of shot in her but she holds air.  And as far as collapsing them, I agree that I leave them fully inflated 90% of the time, but I still feel that option is and advantage because I have deflated them before for easier carrying, especially when carrying a bird out.  With all that said, I have been frustrated with Avian-X's customer service and with the fact the DSDs are made in America, when the time comes I need new decoys I will probably go with DSD.  However, that is not a decision based on the quality of the Avian-X decoys, which I think is excellent.

MK M GOBL

Not that I have tried this... and if you have not seen this, But just saying WOW!

DSD Durability

https://youtu.be/nPhZmuqJyds

MK M GOBL

otinhunter

:z-winnersmiley:Wow!! I don't  believe my avian x hen decoys would handle a shot like that Lol. Wish I would of seen this video last week before I ordered my avian x hen's. I would of waited and saved for the dsd hens but I still like the avian x hens very realistic IMO.