turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can POA/POI be corrected without scope. sights. etc

Started by strutnva, January 10, 2016, 05:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnva

Just got a new Franchi Affinity 20 ga.  It shoots good left to right but POI is higher than POA (probably 6-8 inches).  Can this be corrected somehow without moving to some other sighting system or will i just have to hold low?

Devastator

For the money we lay down for these guns you would think these companys would make sure they shoot straight.

Bowguy

strutnva

Prohunter3509

dirt road ninja

There are ways, but all will involve your gunsmith.

Longshanks

There is a way to straighten it but unfortunately bending the barrel is what it is. I have seen people bend barrels by putting them in a vice. I have also seen back in the day when people would just take the barrel and give it a good hit on a bag of sand. Don't think I would be doing that with some of these new shotgun barrels.
* I would exhaust every avenue of having it fixed at the factory because it could be off due to the threads being off in the barrel. If they won't help I would just take it to your gunsmith.

Tail Feathers

Can't you adjust the height of impact by using adjustment shims at the stock?
Or so I've heard.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

strutnva

I don't know about the shims, it did come with some additional ones.  The rib is so high in the back it seems to me that I can't get down far enough on the barrel to make it shoot any lower.  Maybe I will contact Franchi and see what they say.  It's only two days old.

Longshanks

Quote from: strutnva on January 11, 2016, 07:12:45 AM
I don't know about the shims, it did come with some additional ones.  The rib is so high in the back it seems to me that I can't get down far enough on the barrel to make it shoot any lower.  Maybe I will contact Franchi and see what they say.  It's only two days old.

Sounds like that would be the best way to go. They will let you know if shims would correct the situation. That sounds like it is bent or the barrel is not seating correctly in the chamber. Good luck.

WAGinVA

B-Square made a barrel vice used to bend single barrel guns.  If you can find one it would probably be as cheap to buy one and bend it yourself rather than going the gunsmith route.  I have one and am located in central VA.

OldSchool

Is your gun threaded for choke tubes? If so, try the others that came with it. Sometimes just changing tubes can help. At least that'll tell you if It's actually the barrel, or the tube you're using.

I had a local gunsmith do a POI adjustment for me about a year ago. Cost me 75 bucks. Good luck with it.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: strutnva on January 10, 2016, 05:56:47 PM
Just got a new Franchi Affinity 20 ga.  It shoots good left to right but POI is higher than POA (probably 6-8 inches).  Can this be corrected somehow without moving to some other sighting system or will i just have to hold low?

Many times changing a choke tube will change the point of impact. What kind of choke, flush, extended, brand, etc. are you currently using that is causing your POI to be high?

If you lower the comb of the gun, it will also lower the POI. A shim kit should have come with that gun that will allow you to adjust both drop and cast. Since the cast is okay, all you'll need to adjust is the drop.

Good luck with your new gun and please let us know how the adjustments work for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mbecnel

Can't you adjust the height of impact by using adjustment shims at the stock?
Or so I've heard.

Yes. My son was having the same issue with his 12ga affinity. He used the largest shim and it fixed the problem

Buckmaster1546

I am having the same problem with both my son's mossy 510 mini and my mossy535 Turkey thug. My Turkey thug came with a shim in between the stock and receiver......
I called Mossberg but they were no help.
This is the second time I've heard of the shims in the stock, changing POI.
When you say "adjusting the comb", what does that mean?