turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Crossbow?

Started by Kates, January 01, 2016, 04:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kates

I'm looking at buying a crossbow to use exclusively for turkey hunting, I do not deer hunt.  I'm looking for a basic, no frills set up.  Any help would be appreciated.

sulpher turk

I got a wicked ridge warrior hl. IT'S a perfect crossbow.

JLH

If you're still shopping.....get the excalibur micro 335.....it's light, compact and scary accurate.

An absolute turkey hunting machine.

MK M GOBL

My choice would be a Ten Point, they also produce the Horton and Wicked Ridge lines.

MK M GOBL

Kates

Im still dragging my feet.  I really like the simplicity of a recurve crossbow.  My goal is to shoot a few before I make my choice

MK M GOBL

Just be aware of some of those recurve crossbows, I have seen them have a lot of string stretch. Do some google research on
"String Stretch" with the manufactures name and go from there... I have had to put 40+ twists in to these per mfg. instruction, It takes a press to do this and have had to do it multiple times to the same bow to keep the brace height right. Might also look at overall width if you are going to be hunting in a blind (seen a customer come to far forward on a blind trying to make a shot and limb hit the center hub, not a good deal) and there is a lot of forward motion on those limbs to be aware of. Just make sure you are taking all of these factors into consideration...

MK M GOBL

Jwall

I just bought the excalibur micro 335 a few weeks ago and really like it. I am currently trying to figure out what broadheads to use this spring.

JLH

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 17, 2016, 07:56:17 PM
Just be aware of some of those recurve crossbows, I have seen them have a lot of string stretch. Do some google research on
"String Stretch" with the manufactures name and go from there... I have had to put 40+ twists in to these per mfg. instruction, It takes a press to do this and have had to do it multiple times to the same bow to keep the brace height right. Might also look at overall width if you are going to be hunting in a blind (seen a customer come to far forward on a blind trying to make a shot and limb hit the center hub, not a good deal) and there is a lot of forward motion on those limbs to be aware of. Just make sure you are taking all of these factors into consideration...

MK M GOBL

The first thing to get with a recurve xbow is a good quality Flemish twist string.

I'm very certain, that all factory strings stretch quite a bit...on all bows, vertical and horizontal....

Bowguy

The first thing to get with a recurve xbow is a good quality Flemish twist string.

I'm very certain, that all factory strings stretch quite a bit...on all bows, vertical and horizontal....

Not sure if this is a joke or mistake? I've personally never seen a Flemish twist on a crossbow of any type. Flemish twist strings are not served at the loop end but instead braided. Doesnt seem the best idea on any modern bow or crossbow.
Strings do stretch, most are prestretched to limit this.

Wow, I stand corrected. Have to modify post, found guys making em. Never would have imagined

Double B

I crossed over from vert to crossbow in deer season just passed.   Highly recommend the Excalibur line.  Width may be a deciding factor for you.  I picked up a grizzly matrix and it rocks for deer, but a little on the side side.   Agree the narrower micro series would be aces, especially in a blind.   I haven't touched mine, except to put the reds suppressors on it and robinhooded on 3rd shot with it at 40 yds lasered.   Remember to shoot different spots on the target or it will cost you.  Brace height was long when I got it but between shooting it and a few times leaving it cocked brought it right down where it is supposed to be.     I think they are a blast to shoot.   Watch the Excal torture tests vs some of the other bows out there.   Simple and durable.   You know I may take mine out some too this spring!
Followed by buzzards

allchokedup

I'm a Tenpoint guy. Top quality and great customer service.

Kates

I just bought a Wicked Ridge Invader and really like it so far.  I talked with Dave at Wyvern creations and he was extremely helpful in me making my decision.

allchokedup

I agree. Contact David at Wyvern Creations. He has a lot of knowledge on crossbows and puts together the best price and package with his crossbows.