OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What is the best choke and constriction for Win. LB. 5 shot. From a Win. SX 2.

Started by Lucky Clucker, December 30, 2015, 11:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Clucker

I got good results from a Carlson ported .665, but know there has to be a better choke  for this load,.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Lucky Clucker on December 30, 2015, 11:37:57 PM
I got good results from a Carlson ported .665, but know there has to be a better choke  for this load,.

Carlson chokes are very good products. They make one especially for WLB shells. I've shot them and they work well.

Can you describe the pattern you're now getting or post a picture? I don't care much about numbers, I'm much more interested in coverage. I like to look at a 10" circle and see no gaps of 2" or more within that circle. Then I look at the "halo" pattern around that 10" circle, for an additional 4". If you're getting that kind of coverage, the investment that you make in another choke might not be worth the marginal improvement you might see.

If however, you have large gaps in the 10" circle and an uneven halo pattern, it might be worth investigating. I shoot a SX3 with a 28" barrel as well as several BPS shotguns with the same bore. I much prefer #6 shot but shoot #5s just to see what works best in those guns.

Just let me know how your current pattern looks and if I may be of help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Lucky Clucker

I think I got 138 in a 10 in. circle at 40 yards, with the 3 in. shell.pattern was dense and even out to around the 20 inch.I know it will kill any turkey fired at within that range.

Izzyjoe

That sounds pretty impressive with what you have now, you could spend more and not gain much! If you have an even pattern at 40 with that pellet count you'll hammer a turkey hard. #5's are awesome, but if you're looking for a higher pellet count give 6's a try.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Lucky Clucker on December 31, 2015, 03:38:32 PM
I think I got 138 in a 10 in. circle at 40 yards, with the 3 in. shell.pattern was dense and even out to around the 20 inch.I know it will kill any turkey fired at within that range.

That sounds like a winner to me.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

owlhoot

Quote from: Lucky Clucker on December 31, 2015, 03:38:32 PM
Thats all a guy needs it to do, isn't it?
If your just wanting to shoot and experiment , the old stardot did well in my two X2's with various loads.

Lucky Clucker

Yes I have a old Star dot,and Undertaker,a primos tight wad, the Jelly head I have does not like them already tried it,I will try the others just to see, but the old carlson choke always liked the 5 s from Winchester in the HV shells, going to do some testing soon,I will still stick with my Hevi shot on most hunts but after a good green up when the range is not as far lead will be ok,I have killed a lot with lead 5s.