turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#6 vs. #5.

Started by deerbasshunter3, December 19, 2015, 12:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Last year I shot Win. Long Beard 3" #6 and killed a nice gobbler with it.

I have a couple of boxes of the same ammo, but in #5. I had a great pattern with the number six, and like I said, killed a nice gobbler with it. Will I notice much of a difference going to #5 so I don't have to buy another box of shells?

I know the #5 will have a bigger pellet, which should mean a little better knockdown power, but how much less dense will my pattern be going from the #6 to the #5?

Longshanks

I would go pattern and make sure the pattern you have is something that you want to hunt with. Good luck! I'm thinking turkeys already as well. Waiting on the Spring!

Izzyjoe

You'll lose some of you're pellet count at 40yds, but not to much to worry with. I had good patterns with 4's 5's and 6's. Just what ever suits you.

BandedSpur

Number 5s will have 75% the number of pellets in the load as compared to a load of 6s. So, assuming your gun likes both shot sizes equally well, if you are getting 200/10 with 6s, you can expect around 150/10 with 5s. Most of the posts I see back that up. With 3" LBs, most guys are averaging around 210 with 6s and 160 or so with 5s at 40 yds. That's still plenty of pellets to cleanly kill at what has been set as the max ethical range on this site. And as you mentioned, each pellet will arrive on target with more energy.

PALongspur

You won't be disappointed with the 5s. And you'll be glad you have them if you ever misjudge the yardage on a tough field turkey.

deerbasshunter3

trkehunr93

The patterns I've seen with 5's have been quite amazing.  Shoot them at some cardboard and see, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

davisd9

5s would be my choice no doubt

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

Quote from: davisd9 on December 21, 2015, 11:42:43 AM
5s would be my choice no doubt

Sent from the Strut Zone
Think you will be pleased , should still be a wicked pattern and 5's hit hard, check some on the paper since you got a few boxes. Might be your favorite new load , you never know. Good luck.

mikejd

Not worth the chance. You need to shoot and see. Your gun and choke may hate the 5's and love the 6's. I have seen results like this happen were a pattern dropped of as much as 50% making a change like that.

HFultzjr

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on December 20, 2015, 09:52:37 AM
To give you an idea, this is my pattern at 40 yards with the #6...

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=51538.0;attach=27367;image

Pattern them.
If you get anywhere near that pattern (nice even coverage), you should have a dead turkey!

Gobble!

Shoot them. Even if its the same load just different shot size I always recommend people shoot at a target before a turkey. At 40 yards I'm sure you will still get the job done.

340_Dart

I have a few boxes of 3" #6 longbeards, but my gun shoots better with 5s. PM me, maybe we can work out a trade.-Andy