Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Indian creek or hevi choke with moss erg 835

Started by WNCTracker, December 14, 2015, 05:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Now that deer season is done i am  thinking turkey. I shoot a mossberg 835 with IC black strike choke with 3.5" #5 longbeards. It patterns well but not as awesome as I think it should or could. I saw a table on Google where NWTF recommended the hevi choke with longbeards for the 835 based on an extensive test with multiple chokes.

http://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/choking-winchester's-long-beard-xr

Before I invest $50 into my own experiment I thought I'd see if anybody had 2 cents about hevi choke vs. the IC with longbeards out of the 835

Paladin85

Sorry I can't directly help answer your question. You might try reposting your question in "Turkey Guns" topic. BTW, thanks for link to NWTF article by Clark Bush....interesting findings

davisd9

Forget numbers. If you have a good even pattern that shoots poa to 40 yards then go kill birds and do not chase numbers. Been there, done it and wasted time and money.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

turkeyfoot

Are you set on using longbeards?  hevi 6 shot with jellyhead really patterns well out of a Moss I have

dirt road ninja

I'd run a few magblends or HTL 7's thru that IC and see what you think. If your set on using LB's 5's and not happy with your current choke, try the Hevi choke.

mwr

Patternmaster Code Black Turkey .715 and 3 1/2 # 5 LB's are great out of my 835!!  And I have tried many different choke tubes! :you_rock: :you_rock: :icon_thumright:

mikejd

I recommend the pure gold. Awesome out of my 835.

Clif Owen

Mine too. I'm going to try a Sumtoy to see if it's any better but really don't need to switch.

I also have a Hevi tube I might part with if you decide to go that route.

chatterbox

Quote from: davisd9 on December 21, 2015, 08:34:19 AM
Forget numbers. If you have a good even pattern that shoots poa to 40 yards then go kill birds and do not chase numbers. Been there, done it and wasted time and money.

Sent from the Strut Zone
This^^^^^^^^

Gobble!

I like numbers. I don't have experience with 835s but my recommendation would be to call a few choke manufactures and tell them your situation. I know some offer money back guarantees if your not happy so get as many as you can, go shoot, and send back the ones you do not like.

eddie234

I have a Winchester 1300 and have used both chokes, I get a much better pattern with the IC. Only thing is I had to scope the gun to get poa to match poi.

jim570

I have a Pure Gold .670 in my 835 and Hevi 13 3 1/2 #7s put 344 in  the 10 at 40.  My son has a 935 with and Indian Creek and same load looks similar at 40.  I didn't count his.  That's a lot of counting!

WNCTracker

I'm getting 180-200 in 10" at 35 yards with my current setup. I'm sure if I went with HEVI 13 if bump the numbers up but I can't swallow the price of them.

bbcoach

The 835 is a Turkey Killin machine with just about any choke in the .670-.676 range.  Some of these are Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Stardot and many more.  I shoot a Pure Gold with 3 1/2 Hevi 7's in mine and she puts up 300 plus in 10 at 40.  If you are planning on using Longbeards, I would recommend a choke in the range above (your choice) and 5's or 6's will get the job done.

mikejd

Quote from: eddie234 on January 01, 2016, 09:52:13 AM
I have a Winchester 1300 and have used both chokes, I get a much better pattern with the IC. Only thing is I had to scope the gun to get poa to match poi.

My 1300 loves the IC as well. Same problem poi way off. I opt to got to a different choke in order to stay with by front bead. stardot and My truglo mark banser throw very good even patterns.