OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help me pick new boots!!!!

Started by wisconsinteacher, November 30, 2015, 12:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I need a new pair of boots.  I have used the Cabela's snake boots in the past but they are leaking and falling apart after 3 years.  I would like them to be snake boots because I already have a pair of rubber boots and hiking boots.  We don't have snakes here but I like them because they keep the ticks out and help my feet breath where rubber boots get too hot and sweaty. 

So what is the best snake boot that will keep my feet dry?

Tail Feathers

I had some Bass Pro lace up snake boots that were light and comfortable.  They fell apart last year at about 10 years old.  I have some Cabela's Pinnacle zip ups that I just never really took to.  Not bad, but I've never worn them much.
None of them stayed waterproof after the first year or so.  I see the same Bass Pro boots on sale every now and then for under $100.

Me, now I'm regular hunting boot shopping.  I have some Cabelas 8" boots that have been good but they cost almost as much as Danner's and I'm thinking about some Danner Pronghorns.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ctwny1

You'll love the Danner Pronghorn boots. Checkout Sierr@  Trading Post for Danner Pronghorn boots. They were selling them for a great price.

Spring Creek Calls

I have a pair of uninsulated Bass Pro Redhead side zip snake boots that are still waterproof after 2 seasons. I wear them more for water depth than snakes as I hunt some areas with standing water or ditches. They are light and comfortable but not the greatest looking boots, which doesn't bother me in the least.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

redmag

I have a pair of the BassPro snake boots that leaked after the first season.  I still wear them on dry days but I replaced them with Danners.  Best is a knee high rubber boot that is not too heavy.

tomstopper

Quote from: redmag on December 01, 2015, 08:42:53 AM
I have a pair of the BassPro snake boots that leaked after the first season.  I still wear them on dry days but I replaced them with Danners.  Best is a knee high rubber boot that is not too heavy.
Agreed unless you need the snake protection. I bought a pair of Muck Ranger boots a couple years ago and absolutely love them.

dirt road ninja

I've had good luck with my Chippewa's. This will be their 3rd season and they still keep my feet dry. I do treat them with mink oil a few times a year and if I was hunting in a swamp I would think they will eventually leak as most leather boots do. That said I've crossed creeks, wet fields, big puddles and a couple hundred yards of flooded timber without a problem.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

idratherb

mmclain

danner pronghorn classic from cabelas......work the sole of a pair....hard working boots....cut lots of firewood in them....I have the GTX with the black toe..I like the original better comfort wise....

KYFrid

Another vote here for the Danner Pronghorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Take a good look at Irish Setter Vapr Trek snake boots.

I got a pair this past season after my 14 year old pair of Red Heads came home from Texas held together by parachute cord and electrician's tape.

The Irish Setters are half the weight of my old Red Heads.  They feel like you're wearing running shoes.  So far I just LOVE em !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tail Feathers

I was looking at the Vapor Trek regular boots just today.   I'll try to find some to try on.  The snake boots look pretty good too.

bbcoach

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on November 30, 2015, 12:29:14 PM
I need a new pair of boots.  I have used the Cabela's snake boots in the past but they are leaking and falling apart after 3 years.  I would like them to be snake boots because I already have a pair of rubber boots and hiking boots.  We don't have snakes here but I like them because they keep the ticks out and help my feet breath where rubber boots get too hot and sweaty. 

So what is the best snake boot that will keep my feet dry?
I'm not trying to hi jack your boot thread but you talked about keeping ticks out.  I was invited by a friend to hunt turkeys in Wisconsin this past spring and you definitely have ticks.  I had my clothing and boots sprayed down with permethrin and didn't have any tick problem.  My buddy, on the other hand, had them on him the entire time we were there.  I mix my own, from 10% concentrate, by adding 1 oz of permethrin in a 20 oz spray bottle of water (.5%).  Sawyers is another option.  Sawyers can be found at most Walmarts and you can get permethrin concentrate at most Farm and Fleet stores or order it on line.  Just mix it to the .5% concentration, spray all your clothes including gloves, face mask, hat and let dry.  This should give you a good month of protection, just re apply as needed.  By the way, I have the Danner Jackal snake boots as well.  Very light, good support and rugged. 

Tail Feathers

X2 on Permethrin.  That stuff works!