Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi shot mag blend still killin five months after the shot...

Started by Hooksfan, November 11, 2015, 07:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksfan

Alright,  some of you may think I have gone off my rocker here but......we eat our share of wild turkey at my house and have for a while.  I have noticed that since I made the switch to heavy mag blend, there are more shots that I am dang near breaking my teeth off on and they are almost always the smaller shot sizes. 
No way I am just imagining this. It's bad enough I believe I will go back to my old faithful loads that worked for years.
This is in no way a criticism. I am still beyond impressed with the loads performance, but I'm not quite ready for dentures yet.
Anyone else notice this or can give an explanation. All I can attribute it to is the greater number of pellets, possibility the smaller shots be in pushed to the perimeters? , or that the heavy shot gets better penetration.  Any thoughts?

davisd9

I find a few in the breast but not much. I cut mine into nuggets and have never bitten down on Hevi in the meat. Do not think I did it with lead either other than a deer killed with buckshot.

The positives of Hevi would certainly outweigh it for me and would just search the meat a little closer.

Lead kills and no problem going back if that is your decision.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jblackburn

maybe shoot at a large paper to see if you are getting fliers.  Since I switched to straight Hevi 6's in 2012 or 13 I have not had a problem with pellets in the breast like I would see with lead.  I've killed them from 5 yards to beyond acceptable OG range, too
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Oconeeguy

I had a similar question in 2012

biting into pellets
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:08:25 AM »
QuoteModifyRemove

Being fairly new to both turkey hunting and this forum, I notice much discussion about throwing a lot of really small pellets at the head/neck area of a turkey. It seems reasonable that a good many of these small pellets will hit the body (and breast) of the turkey, especially at these maximum distances discussed. Having grown up around rabbit/quail/squirrel hunting, I am always concerned about biting into a pellet when eating game. An Aunt broke a molar doing that years ago. Has anyone had a problem finding and removing these small #7 pellets from their turkey prior to eating?

T-town

Learned 30 years ago, check all my meat closely. But I can't help but wonder about the TSS folks use these days. That's a lot of small shot.

TauntoHawk

Shoot such a tight pattern with hevi I almost never have a single pellet in the meat. If I do I try and cut them out before I cook it
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>