OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How did you guys do this fall?  (Read 8715 times)

Offline sulpher turk

How did you guys do this fall?
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:18:02 PM »
It was horrible for us didnt even hear a gobble! :TrainWreck1:

Offline Kevin6Q

Re: How did you guys do this fall?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »
My season was pretty great. I didn't get a bird but managed to help my 12 y.o. son get his first. Helping a kid to find and get a shot on a bird is a lot of work but very much fun.

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »
I'm in Maryland and our season is still in til Saturday. So far it's been a bust. I have put some miles on my boots in all the places that I've found sign in years past. Don't know what to do. Last year was a bumper year for acorns and this year there is less. You'd think it be easier but it just isn't working out. i remember as a kid going and you would see other hunters which I believe helped greatly. There is not much Hunter participation for fall birds anymore.

Offline sulpher turk

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »
Yeah the guy i hunt with here in tn just isnt much into fall hunting. typically i do pretty good.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »
I called in and killed 3 with a gun in two states and killed my 2 with a bow here in IL. All public land hunts. The gun kills were 10 yrds and the bow kills were 30 yrds. You just don't know how the birds will work to decoys in the fall. Oh ya, killed a bonus doe to while turkey hunting with my bow.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline 870BkWht

• The Boss Gobbler
  • West Virginia
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
Season is still in here in WV. Much like the guy who posted from Maryland I also have put some miles on my boots. I haven't seen any birds. No acorns to speak of and I haven't talked to another hunter who was actively pursuing fall birds.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
I had several days in western Md. and covered a lot of ground, did not see or hear a bird, or any scratchings

no mature acorns in any of the areas, I cleared leaves away from under several white, red and chestnut oaks, tiny little pea sized acorns with no caps on them, inside was a powdery dust

had a bird dog work his way over to me and thought I ran across a turkey dogger, but was a grouse hunter, only hunter I ran into

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 06:41:55 PM »
I had several days in western Md. and covered a lot of ground, did not see or hear a bird, or any scratchings

no mature acorns in any of the areas, I cleared leaves away from under several white, red and chestnut oaks, tiny little pea sized acorns with no caps on them, inside was a powdery dust

had a bird dog work his way over to me and thought I ran across a turkey dogger, but was a grouse hunter, only hunter I ran into

Brother that is a sight I haven't seen for quite awhile up there, a grouse Hunter with a dog. All that walking I never flushed a grouse either. I'm curious if with low acorn production if these birds are on private land hitting the waste grain in the fields.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
talked to a buddy tonight who hunts central Pa., no acorns where he been at either
he said the turkeys they ran across were all near picked corn fields

Offline Hooksfan

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 07:17:54 PM »
Had a good time, killed some birds, guided my best friend from Louisiana on a nice fall tom, and upgraded the kid to the 12 gauge. Slight mishap there. All I could find before we left on that hunt were 3.5" mags. He had rested the gin on his knee with the forearm of the gun kind of under his kneecap. Let's just say when he touched the powder off, there was flopping on the ground at both ends.

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »
 :wagon:.

Took a nice Jake in PA hunted with turkey dogs. Great hunt and a great time
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 09:39:13 PM »
:wagon:.

Took a nice Jake in PA hunted with turkey dogs. Great hunt and a great time

nice turkey,

do you have any info on getting a pup from that line of dogs?

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 09:07:27 AM »
These dogs where developed by the late John Byrne and they are Appalachian Turkey Dogs.  This is not my dog and a friend owns them.  His son and daughter JT and Cathy still breed them and they are in Virginia. You can try Facebook for Cathy or look on the internet for any contact info.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline sulpher turk

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
Yeah I would be interested in getting one. Dogs are AWESOME!!!!!!!

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
These dogs where developed by the late John Byrne and they are Appalachian Turkey Dogs.  This is not my dog and a friend owns them.  His son and daughter JT and Cathy still breed them and they are in Virginia. You can try Facebook for Cathy or look on the internet for any contact info.

thanks