turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF Still Shoot

Started by fountain2, October 19, 2015, 01:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain2

When is the shoot?  Where will results be posted?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: fountain2 on October 19, 2015, 01:11:11 PM
When is the shoot?  Where will results be posted?

The World Championship still target shoot is always scheduled for the first weekend in October. This year that was October 2nd & 3rd. Here's a brief note about what happened.
http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=789
and just a bit more.
http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=792

As is noted in the Mossberg Blog, hurricane Joaquin had other ideas and the shoot was suspended. We were all very fortunate that it was called when it was. Weather conditions became much worse very quickly and some of the areas that contestants drove through on their way home were flooded for days, just after that.

The WCSTS has been rescheduled for December 4th & 5th. It's the latest in the year that the event has ever been held and we expect that temperatures will be pretty cool. That may well hold down some scores but it still gives shooters an opportunity to showcase what they believe works best in their guns.

This year a new class has been added, the 20 gauge Hunter class. Guns used in the Hunter class must have an unaltered barrel but may use open, "dot" or telescopic sights.

Classes now include, 12 gauge Hunter, 20 gauge Hunter, 12 gauge Open, 20 gauge Open, JAKES (17 & under) 20 gauge Open, and Women's 20 gauge Open.

The results will be published at  www.nwtf.org  www.allaboutshooting.com  www.facebook.com/MossbergCorp and in "Turkey Country" magazine.

There will also be an article about still target shooting and how to become involved in the November/December issue of "Turkey Country" magazine.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

fountain2

Keep us posted on the progress of the shoots next weekend and good luck to all

allaboutshooting

Quote from: fountain2 on November 29, 2015, 07:48:24 AM
Keep us posted on the progress of the shoots next weekend and good luck to all

Will do. It should be "interesting" depending upon how the weather treats us.

Thanks,
Clark

fountain2

Sounds like some good shooting went on today

allaboutshooting

Quote from: fountain2 on December 05, 2015, 08:19:36 PM
Sounds like some good shooting went on today

Here's a link to the results http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=799

Doris won her 5th World Championship. She dominated the field and won all 4 of the semi-finals, so she had to shoot against herself in the "Final Four".

I was able to take 4 seats to the semi-finals in the 12 Gauge Open class, shooting a stock Remington 870 with Truglo choke. I made the "Final Four" but was defeated in round 3.

It was cold, windy and as tough a shoot as I've attended in 16 years. Scores were low overall due to the conditions but it still was fun to be out with a bunch of like-minded folks shooting turkey guns in December.

Thanks,
Clark

fountain2

What "custom turkey choke" was Sloan using?  Didn't they used to be with Indian Creek or am I think of someone else there?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: fountain2 on December 08, 2015, 07:45:05 PM
What "custom turkey choke" was Sloan using?  Didn't they used to be with Indian Creek or am I think of someone else there?

You are correct. Brian Sloan and his 2 sons, Eli and Joseph shoot on the Indian Creek team.

In the open classes you may use a custom gun and custom choke tube. I don't know any of the details of that choke except it was a solid choke, no ports, that screwed into an adapter on the muzzle of the gun.

Thanks,
Clark

fountain2

Gutsdozer

Wow do JEB's chokes always place that well?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gutsdozer on December 19, 2015, 05:53:33 PM

The JEB's shooters had to earn all the positions (seats) in the semi-finals at the event since they had not participated in any state or regional shoots. They won 3 of the 5 contested classes and they won those classes with stock, commercially available chokes and with stock, commercially available shotguns.

They were contenders in the Ladies Class, even though Doris Bush won all 4 of the semi-finals and only had to shoot against herself in the finals. She shot against some excellent shooters but frankly, dominated the competition.

The only class that was hotly contended was the 12 gauge Open class in which I shot against the "Sloan boys". They are 2 excellent shooters who shot a custom Savage shotgun with a custom choke tube made for that that gun, that last summer set a new world record. I shot a stock, factory Remington 870 with a stock, factory Truglo choke tube, made the "Final Four" and it took 3 rounds to eliminate me from the competition.

Any shooter, shooting any gun can compete in this contest. We'd love to see more serious turkey hunters come to the event next August, at the Palmetto Shooting Complex in Edgefield, SC and give it a try. Like me, you might become hooked on the sport.

Thanks,
Clark

Gutsdozer

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 19, 2015, 06:22:53 PM
Quote from: Gutsdozer on December 19, 2015, 05:53:33 PM

The JEB's shooters had to earn all the positions (seats) in the semi-finals at the event since they had not participated in any state or regional shoots. They won 3 of the 5 contested classes and they won those classes with stock, commercially available chokes and with stock, commercially available shotguns.

They were contenders in the Ladies Class, even though Doris Bush won all 4 of the semi-finals and only had to shoot against herself in the finals. She shot against some excellent shooters but frankly, dominated the competition.

The only class that was hotly contended was the 12 gauge Open class in which I shot against the "Sloan boys". They are 2 excellent shooters who shot a custom Savage shotgun with a custom choke tube made for that that gun, that last summer set a new world record. I shot a stock, factory Remington 870 with a stock, factory Truglo choke tube, made the "Final Four" and it took 3 rounds to eliminate me from the competition.

Any shooter, shooting any gun can compete in this contest. We'd love to see more serious turkey hunters come to the event next August, at the Palmetto Shooting Complex in Edgefield, SC and give it a try. Like me, you might become hooked on the sport.

Thanks,
Clark

Nice to know a stock 870 can shoot that well! I have an 870 express. Currently I use the 28" barrel it come with and an Indian Creek black Diamond Strike. I wouldn't mind a shorter barrel. Some of the areas I hunt are pretty thick and a long barrel gets caught and/or stuck on everything imaginable. Though I would think it might help get more pellets down range in a tighter group. Probably going with the Heavy #7's since is was getting good numbers at 40 yards last year.

allaboutshooting

Nice to know a stock 870 can shoot that well! I have an 870 express.

The gun that I shot is an 870 Express with a 26" barrel. It's right off the rack. I did put an ATI adjustable stock on it so that others with a shorter or longer length or pull could shoot it.

The gun is probably 10 or more years old. Over the years, I've  "deep cleaned" the bore and it's had several hundred rounds shot down-range with it. It normally goes with me to still target shoots and if anyone needs a gun, it's always available for them. Many different shooters have used that gun over the years.

I had not intended to shoot it at the WCSTS and took it only as a back-up gun. When I got there however, my other stock guns were not shooting to point of aim. I'm not sure what happened but the only gun that I took that was shooting to POA was the 870, so that's the one I shot in the qualification rounds, the semi-finals and the "Final Four".

For the past several years I've only taken 12 gauge factory/stock guns to the WCSTS.I shoot them in both the Hunter and Open classes. I own custom 12 gauge guns but just like to see how well the factory guns compare to the best custom guns.

I'd encourage you and anyone else to come to the WCSTS and see how your turkey gun compares to the other guns there. You might be surprised how well you do.

Thanks,
Clark

Gobble!

Sounds like a good day for Jeb's. After their rough beginning here glad to see things working out for them. Glad Indian Creek got in there too.