OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Arkansas Public land archery 8 pointer

Started by HogBiologist, October 10, 2015, 08:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

Something told me to sit in my half mile tree this morning. I got out early and when I got to the tree I noticed poison ivy on the tree. I saw another one nearby and climbed. About sun up I could hear the four wheeler on the private land to the east. I swear those guys are noisy. I can hear them talking in the mornings. A little after it was getting light, I watched an opossum cruise through. At a quarter to 8 I looked to my right. I spotted movement at 30 yards. It was the buck that busted me opening morning. He didn't know I was there. He was directly down wind from me. I was praying he would come my way. He began to move to my right. He caught my wind I suppose. That nose was sky high. He didn't spook though. I knew he was about 30 yards but had no shot. He turned to walk away from me. I like to range trees at daylight for distance reference. I only marked a 15 yd and 22 yd. judging by those trees I was certain he was at 35. I have never shot a deer with a bow past 20 yards. I knew it was now or never. I have a pin set for 35 yards. He was walking straight away. I drew back on him as he stepped behind a tree. When he stepped from behind the tree he was still quartering to hard. He took a single step to the right. The angle was perfect. I knew it was now or never. I pressed the release. I watched the arrow slip through my whisker biscut. I lowered my bow a little and watched for what seemed like an eternity. The deer began to duck down and I watched the arrow slip in at the back of the ribs. I heard that thwack as the arrow found the boiler room. The deer spun and dropped. I have seen in hunting shows where deer get spined and drop, but never thought I would ever do it. He sat there spinning around a few times. I sent a second arrow to make sure he was done. I got down and walked over to him and saw he was a nice 8 point. He was a 2 yr old. He had a pretty black lateral line down his back. It took an hour and a half to get him out of the woods (from time of shot to leaving the parking lot). I am worn out. There is a reason I call it the half mile stand. It is a half mile walk in. I made a total of a 2 mile hike this morning.

First bow kill in a few years. And I believe my biggest buck bow kill.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

HogBiologist

HogBiologist

Jbird22

mgm1955

perrytrails

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gawhitaker

Nice buck, congrats and thanks for sharing

BowBendr

Good buck !
Congrats !!

2015 Old Gobbler contest champions

Dearhunter3450

beagler

Never Misses

trackerbucky

I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

Candyman

REBELYELL